• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Parts Found: Power Steering Rack - Line Leak Problem

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
DISREGARD: Monday appt at a local garage to address

Found a leak. I 'believe' it originates at the rack line. This just became noticeable in the last two days. No signs and no problems until I pulled out of a parking lot the other day. The pump noise started and I limped her home. Checked the fluid and she was low. There was no signs of a leak prior (parked on asphalt).

The wettest spot is at the line most bottom left in the pic. I don't know if that's high or low pressure. Guessing high because of the leak. I don't know what could have caused it or if it truly originates elsewhere. I'd tighten the fitting but somewhat afraid as it's so rusted. I'm afraid of breaking it. I'm not in a position where I can pull the rack. Staying in RV park and they frown on working on your vehicle. Minor tweaks here and there seem ok, but no major mechanical work or you can get tossed out.

Sure would like some insight from someone, anyone, who may have seen this before. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: I did some more homework on this and it's indeed leaking from lower left line in the block in Pic #1. As mentioned, I'm afraid to tighten it because of the rust factor, I don't want to round it off or shear it unless I have a replacement line in hand. If you reference the second pic, it's the line that comes down from the block and into the front of the rack (red arrows). Does anyone know the name of that line so I can order one? As mentioned, it seems these things don't just 'loosen up' out of no where so I suspect a pin hole caused by rust. I found this and it looks like #10 but the place doesn't mention what it's called. I'll keep looking and hoping one of the walking encyclopedias in the forum come up with it first.
2001-2004 Ford Ranger Rack And Pinion Assembly 1L5Z-3504-DARM | OEM Parts Online.
1673984903176.png

UPDATE#2: Put a wrench on it. Won't budge in ether direction. It may have to be cut out - piece by piece?

1673981499700.jpeg
1673984601823.png

Attachments

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
When I had a similar issue on my 1998, I had to go through the dealer parts department to get the right lines. I don't remember the cost being that bad but that was a good while ago. I decided to replace both lines and be done with it.

As far as the actual replacement. I remember that I had cut at least one line off since I couldn't get the nut to break loose. Once the line was out of the way, I could put a 6-point socket on the nut and get it broke free. The opposite side of the lines seemed to remove ok from what I remember. It wasn't a horrible job but it wasn't easy either.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Thanks. Unfortunately, I'm not in a place where I can take a chance on making a mess. And when I had to have my shocks torched off, the guys did me right so back to the shop it goes. They guy I know said he could replace the line and hook me up in a day.

What I'd really like to come up with is way to keep the water off it...then the alarm clock goes off and the dream is over.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Both lines on the left in the pic had leaks and had to be replaced.

For anyone else running into this problem, O'Reilly's had both lines. The garage found them (not me) so don;t know the part numbers, only that they have them.

1675010492194.png

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals