• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Parking buzzer

DJFRY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum but didn't readily spot an answer to this question on the site, so I'm hoping you might have suggestions for me: there have been a few times when I'll park, take the key out, and start to exit the vehicle before I realize I've left the truck in either DRIVE or REVERSE rather than putting it in PARK. I've only ever had it roll an inch or two before I caught it, but obviously this could cause a dangerous situation, either for me or for one of the other folks in my family who occasionally drive the B2. I'll work on changing my neglectful habits :) , but for the sake of added safety: does anyone know of a buzzer or small chime on the market that I could buy and install that would make a sound when the ignition is off, but the truck is not in PARK?

I just bought a similar buzzer from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard that sounds when I leave the lights on. That's what made me think something *might* exist to help with this parking situation. Ideas welcome. Thanks folks!

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm not familiar with your vehicle. However, a lot of the automatic transmission vehicles I've driven will not let you remove the key unless the transmission is in park. Potentially there is an issue with the lock cylinder?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There is a small pedal on the far left side by your feet.

Press it down when you park...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a Column shifter or floor shifter?

In any case the A4LD transmission will have a Park Neutral switch, called NSS
2 wires on this switch must be "connected" to pass starter motor activation on to starter relay/solenoid, which only happens in Park or Neutral

You could use two relays with those 2 wires that activated a buzzer if key/power was off and wires were not connected

But no, nothing "off-the-shelf" would be available

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum but didn't readily spot an answer to this question on the site, so I'm hoping you might have suggestions for me: there have been a few times when I'll park, take the key out, and start to exit the vehicle before I realize I've left the truck in either DRIVE or REVERSE rather than putting it in PARK. I've only ever had it roll an inch or two before I caught it, but obviously this could cause a dangerous situation, either for me or for one of the other folks in my family who occasionally drive the B2. I'll work on changing my neglectful habits :) , but for the sake of added safety: does anyone know of a buzzer or small chime on the market that I could buy and install that would make a sound when the ignition is off, but the truck is not in PARK?

I just bought a similar buzzer from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard that sounds when I leave the lights on. That's what made me think something *might* exist to help with this parking situation. Ideas welcome. Thanks folks!
Like someone else mentioned, there is something wrong with your steering column. I don't know how they interlocked a floor shifter, but on a column shifter there is a mechanical device that will not let the key turn completely off and be able to pull it out without the shifter lever in park. If you have a manual transmission, there is a white button on the bottom of the column that you must push to turn the key back and take it out. Maybe they used the white button on the early automatic floor shifters?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Like someone else mentioned, there is something wrong with your steering column.
There is nothing wrong in the column. The 1st gen automatics used the same key lock button that the manuals did (At least the few I have owned/worked on), It was entirely possible to remove the key without putting it in park on the one I actually owned. Back when these were designed they weren't built to be your nanny like today's vehicles, you were expected to pay attention to what you were doing, and to use the parking brake like @Dirtman suggested.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
There is nothing wrong in the column. The 1st gen automatics used the same key lock button that the manuals did (At least the few I have owned/worked on), It was entirely possible to remove the key without putting it in park on the one I actually owned. Back when these were designed they weren't built to be your nanny like today's vehicles, you were expected to pay attention to what you were doing, and to use the parking brake like @Dirtman suggested.
So it has the white button like the manuals do?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Mine has a warning buzzer for the lights (key out, lights left on - when opening the door, the buzzer sounds. It also sounds when you leave the key in the ignition, and open the door). However, they stop sounding over time due to age. There's posts on here on how to get it going again, which worked for me.
Just maybe it also chimes when you don't have it in park and open the door, I don't know.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
There is a small pedal on the far left side by your feet.

Press it down when you park...
/\ /\ /\ What he said. It's actually in the owners manual, too. And pay attention, I've driven a lot of vehicles too old to have buzzers and warning chimes. My 93 Ranger has a shifter from a 74 Mustang II with no lockout, no parking brake or door ajar warning lights or buzzers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals