• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Parking Brake Gauge Light

SawyerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
The "BRAKE" light on the dash does not go on when I put the parking brake on. Very rarely will it go on, but then it doesn't happen for a while. I know the light is working in the dash, because when i put the key in the "ON" position, the light illuminates. The brake works well, takes a decent amount of gas to get it moving when I've got the pedal depressed, so I assume it's not the brake.

Thanks for any help guys, it's an auto so it's really not as important as having the e-brake on for a manual, however on the few occasions where I feel like it's needed, I end up driving away cause I forgot the brake is on, and then I think I've destroyed my truck until I realize the brake is on. So the dash light would be awesome to have again

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
check the switch on the pedal.

SawyerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
where on the pedal is the switch?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Also check the fluid level in the master cylinder...unless you have a separate parking brake light...mine comes on for both and if the fluid is low it will come on...

SawyerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Don't mean to bring a dead thread back to life, but I fixed the problem and I figured I should post what I did since I couldn't find any info on this issue.

So I finally decided to fix it, and I looked under, found the switch, and unscrewed it, took it out, and cleaned off the flat contact plate, it was coated in dust and grime. Put it back in, and the "BRAKE!" light comes on every time I hit the E-brake. The switch looks like this, for those who don't know:

Basically the E-brake, when depressed, lifts off the switch, which raises the contact plate and makes contact with the teeth and walah, you have your brake light.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, sorry to bring up an older thread, but my switch in my 1991 explorer busted, and i cannot for the life of me remember how it goes back in under the dash. Does anyone here have a good picture that i can look at?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals