• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Parasitic draw on 2000 Ranger - 200mA

stubborn1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all,

I believe I may have a parasitic draw on my son's new to him Ranger. He went to start it this morning and no go. By the time I got home I measured 11v. I have a cheap tester and the battery shows only about 1/2 the cca it's supposed to have so I swapped it out tonight. Wanting to make sure there wasn't anything else going on, I hooked up my DMM inline with the negative cable and measured 200mA. I'm not sure how long it takes the computer to "fall asleep" but I waited 10 min and didn't see anything. I started pulling fuses and got it down to #26 on the interior panel which is listed as - battery saver relay, electronic shift relay, interior lamp relay, power window relay, electronic shift control module, dome lamp, GEM, instrument cluster.

Am I seeing the reading because this circuit has the battery saver relay on it or a potential issue somewhere else? I'm going to go back and hook up the DMM again and check it in about 30 min.

Thanks!

stubborn1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I should have had some patience before posting. It took about 45 min for everything to "go to sleep" but after that time I measures 20-30mA which to me means I should be okay - the battery was the likely issue.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Keep an eye on it for the next few days just in case. My dad's old Silverado pickup had some weird/stupid electrical failures that always seemed to end up draining the battery (thanks, GM). You might have something like that brewing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals