• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

paper vs. k&n thread....

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
after reading the "paper vs. k&n" thread and also dabbling into the oil threads i never realized how touchy of a subject this stuff was on here. I think you can compare it to how someone stands on abortion in a politcal race or even religion in schools. haha i don't want to stir any pots or cause a huge up-roar i simply wanted to thank everyone because it was VERY amusing to read the paper filter vs. k&n thread. haha thanks!
:icon_rofl:

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You created a separate post, just for this?

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Best air filter ever is a coffee can lined with nylons and packed with tampons and maxi pads... good emergency stash for the girlfriend and war wounds too.:dunno:

Last edited:

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I vote paper, just because paper is just very cheap and can be made out of recyclable materials, and you don't have to replace them that often.

With the K&N you got to use toxic chemicals and stuff to 'renew' the filter element.

Everyone says K&N is better, the only thing K&N markets that is actually better is the Oil filters with a welded on nut.

Otherwise save your money for other upgrades, an air filter is dispensable in my opinion, unless you are in extremes like mud and water, which running a paper element is just stupid.

...and for contaminates, there is probably more CRAP in your oil than what comes thru the air filter...

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
It seems when it comes to air filters, everybody is an expert. I think either work well but I have used K&N air filters since 1980 without any air filter related problems and I clean them every 50,000 miles whether they need it or not.

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
:stop:

Before it gets out of hand I'm just going to say that everybody has their opinion and if you don't like theirs don't try and force yours down anybodies throat. Like on the oil threads or the air filter threads where one person lights the fuse to the gun powder warehouse then sits backs and watches the chaos.
so don't take everything so serious its just peoples opinions.

01_ranger_4x4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
:stop:

Before it gets out of hand I'm just going to say that everybody has their opinion and if you don't like theirs don't try and force yours down anybodies throat. Like on the oil threads or the air filter threads where one person lights the fuse to the gun powder warehouse then sits backs and watches the chaos.
so don't take everything so serious its just peoples opinions.
X2!

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
What about the K&N vs. foam air filters? Or the dry paper vs. pre-oiled paper air filters? To each one, their own way. I prefer paper, but I am trying a pre-oiled paper air filter this go around. I have used K&N, but stopped after an oil anaylsis showed high silicon in the oil (which after switching back to paper, cut the silicon in half). And the KLX gets a dual density oiled foam air filter, because I don't want to be replacing air filters every time I make a run across the dusty plains.

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You created a separate post, just for this?
i would have just posted on the original posting but it was frozen. i was just so amused that i thought i would let all of the posters know i appriciated it...haha. yeah as far as prefering any kind of filter i just use k&n cause its what came with my truck and don't want to buy the stock air intake. like i said i don't even care what people prefer and didn't make this post to start another argument or anything just thought i'd let people know that i was amused and figured people thought the same. If its a problem i will not post anything like this in the future...

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Since I've had my truck (November 2007), I just a good quality paper filter (Wix is my preference) and have changed it about every 18 months or so.

I've given some thought to a K&N or equivilant, but realized that I doubt that my little 4-banger would apeciate the higher flow of a performace part.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
A paper element there is just not much that can go wrong, with a K&N there is potential for human error, I've over-oiled ATV filters before. (a UNI filter)

The only FRAM product I buy is their air filters, that says something about Air filter construction.

The only advantage to the K&N air filter is simply, serviceability.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
...The only advantage to the K&N air filter is simply, serviceability.
i disagree, i see this as a benifet to paper, simple serviceability is throw out and put new one in, i don't have to wash it and be careful that i don't over oil it...

4x4wannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
i spent 60 bucks on a k and n cone filter and homemade shower drain adapter for my 4 banger and i have found only two advantages. 1. it makes your engine bay look cooler. 2. before i put my flowmaster on you could hear the filter when you stomped it and according to my dad it " sounded like a Porsche".:icon_rofl: So if you want your engine bay to look like a riced out civic or if you want your ranger to sound like a porsche than go for a k and n. If not the standard fram paper filter always seemed to work fine for me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals