• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Papaw's F350 Dually

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've never had good luck with Holley carbs. My old 460 truck had a Carter AFB on it and it was kinda sticky and weird but ran OK, figured I had a good Holley on the shelf from another 460 truck that I junked...so I rebuilt that... and it was a horrible downgrade. It would backfire through the exhaust under a light load and had no power. Must have messed with all that junk inside it for hours and had no improvement, never did figure it out but in the meantime I put a kit in the Carter and put that back on. Happy as a clam, ran better than it ever did. Was still pretty cold blooded, that seems to be the nature of the Edelbrock/Carter world?
Since a kit is cheap, I'll try rebuilding my Holley first. It has always started and ran well. I just think it needs to be freshened up.

I think some carbs individually are just difficult no matter what the brand is.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Been doing some work here and there. Found a decent junkyard hood and disassembled my doors from another donor truck.

Then my engine parts started showing up... Decided it was time to get the engine pulled. So I began work on that this morning.

I decided it would be easiest to take off bumper and pull the core support. Wasn't too bad of a job, just a lot of hardware to bag and keep up with.

Everything came loose pretty easy including the exhaust collector bolts.

Tomorrow I'll be borrowing a buddy's engine hoist and putting it on an engine stand. I'll take it down to a short block and take it to my local machine shop this week.

Attachments

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
And the engine is out!

Really wasn't bad. I don't know how many people's first engine pull was a big block Ford, but it wasn't that bad. Only had one small hick up with a stripped bolt head on a clutch. Cut off wheel took care of that.

Now I get to open Pandora's box this week and see what we have to work with.

Attachments

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It was definitely a good move to pull the engine. Timing chain had enough slack you could almost take it off the gears without taking it off the crank or the cam.

The oil pump screen was clogged with I don't know what kind of sludge.

Crank and connecting rods have some wear as expected, but nothing crazy.

I'm shocked the thing could run. Just shows how tough these old motors are.

Attachments

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Off to the machine shop in the morning. Made me up a pallet with some scrap wood I had lying around. Turned out pretty good if I say so. Couldn't think of another way to transport other than a old tire which I don't have.

Attachments

Last edited:

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Was able to sand down all the old paint and surface rust and get the truck in epoxy this weekend.

I also patched up a few places in the floor on the driver's side. Just trying to pick away at it as I go waiting on my engine block to get done.

Definitely needs some body work. I'm going to try a few new things on this project. Hoping I can learn a little more about body work in the process.

Attachments

Last edited:

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Back to body work on this one this weekend.

I did do something today I hope works out well. I kept seeing the OBS guys online swap in rear seats from later model crew cabs instead of the factory bench seats.

So, I did some looking at our local junk yard who has an online system and found an 02 F250 Lariat with Gray Leather seats. I purchased the rear split bench with arm rest and cup holders built in. I'll have to do some fab work or welding for brackets, but I think I can make that work.

It will look very similar to this one, but in Grey. I think it will work out well.

Attachments

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Looking good! You're making great progress.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals