• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Papaw's F350 Dually

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got it loaded up and got it home last night.

I have my two doors and fender from the left over trucks in the woods. I was able to get the rear glass out of it too.

Worst part of the body work will be getting the dents out of the roof from where the kids knocked out the clearance lights. Without the windshield in it right now, might not be too bad get the dents in better shape. The cab corners will need some attention.

This one is going to be some work, bit the engine looks like it might be in better shape then I remember.

@Jim Oaks I'm doing this one for you lol.

Attachments

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
After what you've accomplished with the Bronco II, you're in a much, much better position to take this one on.

It'll be a lot of work, and more "learning curves" as you go, but it will be well worth it.

It won't happen overnight, but this will be a nice truck when you're done. And they just don't make stuff like this anymore.

Keep your eyes on the prize, and Good Luck!

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
God damn kids -__-

Love the truck. Have fun fixing her up!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got the truck in the drive way with no issues.

Have a small plan of attack to begin.

I believe I can get it to run so I can move it under it's own power, then I can start in on body work etc.

I'll start fiddling with it after work this week.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Started digging in a little last night.

Picked up a new battery and tried to get the rig to turn over, nothing at first even by jumping the solenoid, so I got a breaker bar and put it on the crank and worked the engine back and forth, it was fairly tight, I assume the rings were stuck. Eventually it broke free and I was able to turn it over by jumping the solenoid, although it seemed to be turning sort of slow.

So, I pull all 8 spark plugs, in about 10 mins (love having room to reach stuff under this hood), and put some penetrating lube down in the cylinders, then turned the crank with breaker bar a few times and left it to rest for the night. I may end up pulling belts off too as something in the accessory drive could be seized up.

This engine might not have that many miles on it, I can't tell due to 5 digit odometer. So my plan is to see if I can get it running just to be able to move it around, then do compression and make some decisions from there.

I did buy new ignition components, wires, plugs, coil, cap, rotor, and a new in tank fuel pump. This carb has the fuel pump in tank because it has a return on the feed line to the carb. They'll be here by the end of the week.

Also, the wiring is a hot mess.... Papaw had an old mechanic from the coal mines work on it, and he loved to rig stuff..... So, I'll have to work on cleaning that up, and the ignition mechanism is broken which is common on this generation Ford. I'll buy the replacement part and pull the steering wheel and replace the ignition switch itself while I'm in there too.

I did order the electrical and vacuum shop manual on ebay last night, I think it will help answer some questions. Luckily this is a Duraspark ignition, doesn't take much to make it run.

Fun fun... wish me luck on this one guys.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good Luck.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got it turning over pretty well. I almost got it to start, but I need to work on fuel and ignition items. It was firing for sure.

Just like the bronco this one needs a new ignition switch.

I am also replacing the fuel tank as it seems pretty rusted. By the time I got it all cleaned, I can replace it just as fast for not much money.

Once I can move it under it's own power, I'll transition into cleaning things up and improvements.

Hoping my timeline is a little quicker on this one vs the bronco.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I just noticed that it is a 4x4 truck - that's pretty cool, front axle in that thing is worth about a thousand bucks by itself. Good luck getting it all fixed up, kids broke the windows out of one of my project trucks year ago too, I'm still annoyed about that...

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just noticed that it is a 4x4 truck - that's pretty cool, front axle in that thing is worth about a thousand bucks by itself. Good luck getting it all fixed up, kids broke the windows out of one of my project trucks year ago too, I'm still annoyed about that...
Yep, Dana 60 from what I can tell. That and the aluminum bed could fetch some cash if I want to part it out (what a sin on something like this!). I need to confirm what gears it has, I believe it is 3.55 which isn't too bad with the 460, might help get from 9 to 10 mpg lol.

It is actually a pretty rare setup, carb, ZF 5 speed, 4x4, dual wheels, and aluminum bed and wheels.

What the hell is up with kids and busting glass on vehicles? I don't get it.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Bouncing between rigs.

Dove into a new a ignition switch and ignition actuator tonight. Anyone who has owned a bricknose knows what a ignition actuator is.

Got it buttoned up for now. It has had a button for the starter for quiet some time. I'll leave it as is for now to get it running.

More importantly I've got power to the fuel pump wiring and the coil now with the key in run.

Waiting on new fuel tank then I'll get it all going. It's hitting on starting fluid, it will run once I get good fuel to it.

Attachments

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@RobbieD

You were right. I was much more prepared for this project.

New battery, ignition switch, starter solenoid, fuel tank, and a pump. It runs! After 10 years of sitting in a field.

Was missing on a cylinder or two at first but after that it cleared up and idled and ran. Tough old motor.

I'm going to replace ignition components and rebuild the carb. I'll start with just making sure it runs well and worry about upgrades later.

I'll do a compression test soon too. Might escape having to do a rebuild and just do a few upgrades.

Made me smile and think of papaw tonight when I got it going.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Congratulations! The motor running is a huge plus on moving forward on this one.

If the motor turns out to be healthy, I'd just replace any needed gaskets or seals, clean it up, paint it, and run it.

I imagine that glass replacement is pretty high on the list. It's damn shame that it got vandalized, but the positives are that you can easier address any hidden rust, clean up and paint the metal before the new glass goes in. And when the truck is done, a new non-pitted windshield will just make it a lot nicer.

That's a nice truck, and it's going to be a beast when you're done. You're really fortunate to have these heirloom trucks, and you're doing a great tribute to your papaw.

Looking forward to your progress!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Congratulations! The motor running is a huge plus on moving forward on this one.

If the motor turns out to be healthy, I'd just replace any needed gaskets or seals, clean it up, paint it, and run it.

I imagine that glass replacement is pretty high on the list. It's damn shame that it got vandalized, but the positives are that you can easier address any hidden rust, clean up and paint the metal before the new glass goes in. And when the truck is done, a new non-pitted windshield will just make it a lot nicer.

That's a nice truck, and it's going to be a beast when you're done. You're really fortunate to have these heirloom trucks, and you're doing a great tribute to your papaw.

Looking forward to your progress!
Yes, glass is on my mind. Luckily my new doors have good glass in them. I have the back glass, just need a new gasket for it. I do think I'll save it for last on this one.

I'll pick the best of the doors and hit them with epoxy (which I have left over from the bronco, might need a little more) and then do the hood, fenders, and cab.

I am actually thinking of pulling this one all the way apart and painting components (doors, fenders, and hood) separate then reassembling it and maybe spraying one final coat. The bed is going to have to come off regardless to paint the back of the cab. Luckily it's aluminum and I know a guy who has a forklift at this shop who said he would help.

Being just a cab needing paint make this one a little easier to tackle.

Getting it running helps move this heavy beast in and out of the garage so I don't have to worry as much about it not having glass.

I hope my timeline is pretty quick on this one. Have some mechanicals to sort out, but the drive train should be good to go.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Ignition switches... here all along I thought those trucks came with a pair of vice grips right off the assembly line for that purpose!

Check out the "rope trick" for installing your back glass. It's super slick...paracord works well. Basically you use a soapy wet piece of thin rope or thick string wrapped around the gasket to pull it and the glass into place.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ignition switches... here all along I thought those trucks came with a pair of vice grips right off the assembly line for that purpose!

Check out the "rope trick" for installing your back glass. It's super slick...paracord works well. Basically you use a soapy wet piece of thin rope or thick string wrapped around the gasket to pull it and the glass into place.
The ignition actuator has caused a lot of pain over the years. I do remember having to start a few of his 87-91 trucks with pliers.

I spent extra time with a file on my dorman replacement that was cast aluminum. I filed all the parting lines and made sure it fit and didn't hang up. I also lubed up the slides. Seems to be working correctly. There is an adjustment for the switch it self, but mine is working currently and don't want to mess with it unless I need to. The push button for the starter seems to be working well for now.

Yep, we used a nylon hay string to remove the old one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals