• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Papaw's F350 Dually

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've never had good luck with Holley carbs. My old 460 truck had a Carter AFB on it and it was kinda sticky and weird but ran OK, figured I had a good Holley on the shelf from another 460 truck that I junked...so I rebuilt that... and it was a horrible downgrade. It would backfire through the exhaust under a light load and had no power. Must have messed with all that junk inside it for hours and had no improvement, never did figure it out but in the meantime I put a kit in the Carter and put that back on. Happy as a clam, ran better than it ever did. Was still pretty cold blooded, that seems to be the nature of the Edelbrock/Carter world?
Since a kit is cheap, I'll try rebuilding my Holley first. It has always started and ran well. I just think it needs to be freshened up.

I think some carbs individually are just difficult no matter what the brand is.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Been doing some work here and there. Found a decent junkyard hood and disassembled my doors from another donor truck.

Then my engine parts started showing up... Decided it was time to get the engine pulled. So I began work on that this morning.

I decided it would be easiest to take off bumper and pull the core support. Wasn't too bad of a job, just a lot of hardware to bag and keep up with.

Everything came loose pretty easy including the exhaust collector bolts.

Tomorrow I'll be borrowing a buddy's engine hoist and putting it on an engine stand. I'll take it down to a short block and take it to my local machine shop this week.

Attachments

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
And the engine is out!

Really wasn't bad. I don't know how many people's first engine pull was a big block Ford, but it wasn't that bad. Only had one small hick up with a stripped bolt head on a clutch. Cut off wheel took care of that.

Now I get to open Pandora's box this week and see what we have to work with.

Attachments

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It was definitely a good move to pull the engine. Timing chain had enough slack you could almost take it off the gears without taking it off the crank or the cam.

The oil pump screen was clogged with I don't know what kind of sludge.

Crank and connecting rods have some wear as expected, but nothing crazy.

I'm shocked the thing could run. Just shows how tough these old motors are.

Attachments

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Off to the machine shop in the morning. Made me up a pallet with some scrap wood I had lying around. Turned out pretty good if I say so. Couldn't think of another way to transport other than a old tire which I don't have.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad