• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Papaw's BII

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Long time, no update. I've put over 1,000 miles on Bronco II since I got in from Papaw's in 2019.

What a journey this has been. Trans rebuild and a lot of learning and tinkering with distributors, carbs, and engine vacuum.

It is running great now! I think my choke needs some slight adjustment, but it is running and actually drives.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Suddenly my OD is working on my Trans rebuild.... Maybe the bore in the valve body was a little tight or some contamination broke loose? I'm tempted to drop the plan and do a fluid/filter change as it has about 1,000 miles on it since the rebuild. As the new frictions and stuff break in it probably wouldn't hurt.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That's cool, I'd be kinda tempted to drop the pan too. Glad to hear it's working.

Now that you're nearing the tail end of your adventure, I am just starting one with a similar truck. I'll be looking at your truck for inspiration.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's cool, I'd be kinda tempted to drop the pan too. Glad to hear it's working.

Now that you're nearing the tail end of your adventure, I am just starting one with a similar truck. I'll be looking at your truck for inspiration.
Haha, not quite the tail end, but definitely progress!

We will see how it does the next few days on the commute to work. I've got a 6 month warranty on the rebuild and intend to use it fully.

I hope to have body work and paint completed before summer. And AC is a must in a red vehicle in the south!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hmm.... OD Didn't work right off on the drive home tonight until I completed half my commute. I'm guessing trans fluid is a little low and warms up during the drive and then lets it shift. I'm going to check it tonight and add some fluid and go from there.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Haha, not quite the tail end, but definitely progress!

We will see how it does the next few days on the commute to work. I've got a 6 month warranty on the rebuild and intend to use it fully.

I hope to have body work and paint completed before summer. And AC is a must in a red vehicle in the south!
Ha, well, the tail end of your ignition upgrades and transmission repairs at least. I'm intrigued by your HEI setup, I may end up doing that on this '85 I picked up.

Hmm.... OD Didn't work right off on the drive home tonight until I completed half my commute. I'm guessing trans fluid is a little low and warms up during the drive and then lets it shift. I'm going to check it tonight and add some fluid and go from there.
Possibly something is sticking and when the trans warms up, things expand and let something move freely? They are very sensitive to fluid level though.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ha, well, the tail end of your ignition upgrades and transmission repairs at least. I'm intrigued by your HEI setup, I may end up doing that on this '85 I picked up.

Possibly something is sticking and when the trans warms up, things expand and let something move freely? They are very sensitive to fluid level though.
On an '85, it is definitely worth going with the HEI. Wiring is much easier. You can keep your TFI coil with no worries. You can actually just add two wires to the positive and negative coil and then add the duraspark distributor and getting it running. That is what I did before I ever cut any wires. I was afraid I would mess up the starting circuit or the NSS on the trans. After I got it running I pulled the computer and got my wire cutters out lol.

After thinking it over more, I think it was over filled when they rebuilt it. It dumped some fluid out of the vent. I check it last night and it seemed like it could be too full. It was hard to tell and it was dark.

I'm going out of town this weekend, but I'm going to pull a cooler line and let it pump a little out.

Then I'll refill it and get it in the right range.

I also ordered a pan with a drain plug. That should help with the ATF baths I hate to take.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Been playing with Trans Fluid level..... For some reason I'm having trouble seeing it on the dipstick, would help if I could do this any other time then at night.

OD works, but it is intermittent only after driving for a little bit. The only thing I have messed with is fluid level. I will try to get it dialed in this weekend, if that doesn't work, I'm going by the trans shop next week when I'm off and making them ride in the Bronco with me.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
B2 is back at the Trans shop. Said they would look at it. I think it is something sticking in the valve body. Oh well, their problem to figure out.

I will say the engine is running 100% better than when they had it the first time. That should give them a fighting chance to fix it lol.

I found a great condition center console from an explorer that is red that I'm picking up to put with my new interior.

When I get the B2 back, I'm going to start looking into body work then interior.

I am thinking of tackling the body work and paint work myself. No better platform to learn on than a rusted beater lol.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Picked up a console from a first gen explorer for my B2. Its in pretty good shape. I probably over paid for, but it is hard to find them in good shape. My new seats I have don't have an arm rest, but this should help a lot with cup holders too!

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's a nice console. I have the same one in my Ranger and love it.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's a nice console. I have the same one in my Ranger and love it.
I'm more excited about the cup holders than anything. Lol first world problems.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Spoke to the trans shop, they said a valve was sticking open in the valve body. They are warrantying a rebuilt one that is supposedly FOMOCO rebuilt or something along those lines. They are putting the new valve body on and a new modulator and going to check it all again. They are waiting on the valve body to come in. I think it will be ready by the end of this week. I hope, I already miss driving that thing.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Cool console. Did you get the mounting bracket that goes underneath it?

FYI there are three different cup holder variations - the one you have now, one with a single cup spot, and another one with two cup holders but in a row parallel with the seats. That one is usually found in 94-up trucks, mine came out of a 94 B4000. The cup holders are deeper and I don't have shifter problems with big cups anymore - the single cup one is awful, the one you have is just a marginal improvement.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cool console. Did you get the mounting bracket that goes underneath it?

FYI there are three different cup holder variations - the one you have now, one with a single cup spot, and another one with two cup holders but in a row parallel with the seats. That one is usually found in 94-up trucks, mine came out of a 94 B4000. The cup holders are deeper and I don't have shifter problems with big cups anymore - the single cup one is awful, the one you have is just a marginal improvement.
Yes, I have the bracket and all the screws with it. The seller actually turned out to be a pretty good one and sent all the hardware.

I had seen where you can replace the cup holder inserts. The one in it now seems like it will work ok, it is a vast improvement over not having any at all!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals