• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Papaw's BII

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Holding off on the duraspark for now. Engine seems to be running much better and no smoke since I got the carb tuned in better.

I think all my rich issues started with my choke and I didn't know how to correct it. No I understand more of what I am doing and it seems to be doing well.

My new driveshaft will be here on Saturday. I'm going to slap it in and make sure the vibration I'm fighting is gone.

Then, I'll move to fixing up the interior with the seats I bought off a parts rig. I really want to get the headliner back in this thing. It is definitely loud without it!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well new driveshaft didn't fit. I can't find any that are short enough online at rock auto, but I did find a local shop that specializes in driveshafts that will go through it and re balance it for me. Probably the best option anyhow.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Which one did you get? I was looking the other day, I am having driveshaft problems also. After swapping out the rearend which helped a lot, I have one little gritty buzz left to it. I checked it out and found my double cardan joint near the transfer case has some wear in the joints, and also one of the holes that one of the joints fit into is worn out. I can actually push the joints out with my fingers after I take the clips out, and one of them actually had some play in the hole.

So I was looking at driveshafts at different places, and keep running across retro-fit driveshafts with no double cardan joint. I don't see how that could ever work, especially since the rear pinion angle is pointed up specifically for the double cardan joint. I saw the rockuto also sells the double cardan joint shafts.

I ended up finding a new "H yoke" from Denny's drivehafts. Rockauto said they had it, but when I put it in the cart they suddenly said they didn't have it. I hunted around the internet, most people listed it but didn't have it in stock. The one we need is for a "1210" series joint. That is the u-joints the Bronco II uses also, the little 1210 style joints. I hope the new housing and new joints fix my last little problem I have. The center ball with the needle joint seems ok.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have the auto transmission with a double cordon coming out of the transfer case and then a flange on the rear axle.

So I have a yoke on one end and a flange on the other.

I went with the only driveshaft that matched that description on Rock Auto and the shortest one they offered.

USA STANDARD GEAR ZDS9834 Rear Drive Shaft (Rebate/Promotion Available!)
Sale!
Info
One of our most popular parts

Rear; Manual trans.; Compressed Length of 28-5/16 in. measured from center to center of the furthest U-Joints; 4 bolt flange on one end; double cordon joint at transfer case; replaces Spicer design shafts

Still was too long.... I have a bastard shaft in mine from the factory apparently, everyone I have spoken to with the A4LD auto trans has the longer shaft that had the CV's on it that sucked......

At least mine is serviceable, but with so many joints, I'm letting a shop go through it and balance it for me.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was able to put about 60 miles on the B2 this weekend. The new driveshaft has done wonders for this rig!

Driveshaft thread --> https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/bad-vibration-noise.185043/

I'm going to begin daily driving this rig starting tomorrow. I'm sure I'll have a few more bugs to shake out, but I'm willing too.

I still have new shocks to install, then I'm going to focus on the interior.

Eventually I'll probably replace ball joints. Finish some mechanicals, then at some point I'm going to prep for a 4.0 swap. 2.8 works for now, but I think a 4.0 would be just right in this rig.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Do you have the original computer style distributor in your 2.8 or has it been swapped with one with a vacuum advance unit on it? I need a spare 2.8 dist with the vacuum advance unit on it, which would have come from a late 70's mustang or pinto with a 2.8.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do you have the original computer style distributor in your 2.8 or has it been swapped with one with a vacuum advance unit on it? I need a spare 2.8 dist with the vacuum advance unit on it, which would have come from a late 70's mustang or pinto with a 2.8.
I'm running the stock feedback setup with the TFI.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
It's really good to see that you've gotten this done. Congratulations!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Stepped away for a while......

Getting back on this little by little, been doing so much fishing lately, it is hard to focus on the BII.

I'm tried of dealing with the trans. I messaged a local shop this morning, and they told me it would be roughly $250 to drop the valve body and go through it and check the governor.

That is certainly worth not having to lay on my back for a while to work on it, and they appear to have free towing.

I don't like using shops much, but when it comes to the internals of an auto trans, I'm a little out of my league for my current resources.

I just want to get back in and drive it since it running much better with the duraspark distributor and HEI module. It is like a whole other rig, and starts so much easier now....

Last edited:

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
BII was parked somewhere other than my or my late grandfather's driveway for the first time in a decade over the weekend and this week so far.

I had it towed to a local transmission shop Friday that seems to be good and decent from the conversations I had with him.

Hopefully they get it figured out and I can drive it again this week. Fingers crossed.....

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thanks for the updates. Glad to hear that the Duraspark conversion worked out well for you, and good luck with getting the transmission sorted out.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
After a long break.... I'm back with the BII today. Drove it to work, seemed to do really well.

This is the first time I have been able to drive it since I completed the duraspark HEI setup, and it seems to be doing well.

I was able to set the cruise and run 55 all the way to work today with no struggles or anything. The 2.8 isn't a power house, but it is adequate in a vehicle of this size.

I've got a few things on my list to do.... To start I need to replace all my interior bulbs... I can't see anything when I leave in the morning right now. But, I'm back to driving it...

I think I'll focus on getting the interior straightened out right now, then I'll move over to body work/paint.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Good to hear that you've got a runner!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did notice that my TCC lock up is not hooked up to anything. Trans seem to run fine without it, but I will be adding a switch to be able to use it for short term.

I need to clean up some wiring under the hood from the duraspark and a few other odds and ends.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals