ford4wd08

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Holding off on the duraspark for now. Engine seems to be running much better and no smoke since I got the carb tuned in better.

I think all my rich issues started with my choke and I didn't know how to correct it. No I understand more of what I am doing and it seems to be doing well.

My new driveshaft will be here on Saturday. I'm going to slap it in and make sure the vibration I'm fighting is gone.

Then, I'll move to fixing up the interior with the seats I bought off a parts rig. I really want to get the headliner back in this thing. It is definitely loud without it!

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: CFB3B5F7F32B37 Expires: March 30, 2020

ford4wd08

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well new driveshaft didn't fit. I can't find any that are short enough online at rock auto, but I did find a local shop that specializes in driveshafts that will go through it and re balance it for me. Probably the best option anyhow.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Which one did you get? I was looking the other day, I am having driveshaft problems also. After swapping out the rearend which helped a lot, I have one little gritty buzz left to it. I checked it out and found my double cardan joint near the transfer case has some wear in the joints, and also one of the holes that one of the joints fit into is worn out. I can actually push the joints out with my fingers after I take the clips out, and one of them actually had some play in the hole.

So I was looking at driveshafts at different places, and keep running across retro-fit driveshafts with no double cardan joint. I don't see how that could ever work, especially since the rear pinion angle is pointed up specifically for the double cardan joint. I saw the rockuto also sells the double cardan joint shafts.

I ended up finding a new "H yoke" from Denny's drivehafts. Rockauto said they had it, but when I put it in the cart they suddenly said they didn't have it. I hunted around the internet, most people listed it but didn't have it in stock. The one we need is for a "1210" series joint. That is the u-joints the Bronco II uses also, the little 1210 style joints. I hope the new housing and new joints fix my last little problem I have. The center ball with the needle joint seems ok.

ford4wd08

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have the auto transmission with a double cordon coming out of the transfer case and then a flange on the rear axle.

So I have a yoke on one end and a flange on the other.

I went with the only driveshaft that matched that description on Rock Auto and the shortest one they offered.

USA STANDARD GEAR ZDS9834 Rear Drive Shaft (Rebate/Promotion Available!)
Sale!
Info
One of our most popular parts

Rear; Manual trans.; Compressed Length of 28-5/16 in. measured from center to center of the furthest U-Joints; 4 bolt flange on one end; double cordon joint at transfer case; replaces Spicer design shafts

Still was too long.... I have a bastard shaft in mine from the factory apparently, everyone I have spoken to with the A4LD auto trans has the longer shaft that had the CV's on it that sucked......

At least mine is serviceable, but with so many joints, I'm letting a shop go through it and balance it for me.

ford4wd08

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was able to put about 60 miles on the B2 this weekend. The new driveshaft has done wonders for this rig!

Driveshaft thread --> https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/bad-vibration-noise.185043/

I'm going to begin daily driving this rig starting tomorrow. I'm sure I'll have a few more bugs to shake out, but I'm willing too.

I still have new shocks to install, then I'm going to focus on the interior.

Eventually I'll probably replace ball joints. Finish some mechanicals, then at some point I'm going to prep for a 4.0 swap. 2.8 works for now, but I think a 4.0 would be just right in this rig.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Do you have the original computer style distributor in your 2.8 or has it been swapped with one with a vacuum advance unit on it? I need a spare 2.8 dist with the vacuum advance unit on it, which would have come from a late 70's mustang or pinto with a 2.8.

ford4wd08

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do you have the original computer style distributor in your 2.8 or has it been swapped with one with a vacuum advance unit on it? I need a spare 2.8 dist with the vacuum advance unit on it, which would have come from a late 70's mustang or pinto with a 2.8.
I'm running the stock feedback setup with the TFI.

ford4wd08

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

RobbieD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
It's really good to see that you've gotten this done. Congratulations!