• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Painting whole truck with undercoating/etc?

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tried searching and either it wasnt working, or there wasnt a thread like this started (i am thinking there probably has tho...) so i apoligize if this has been overposted.

Anyways, can you just paint the truck entirely with a undercoating or something of the sort? Will it do anything to help anything at all? lol Or is it bad to do? Basically i have my old truck that is showing its older, canadian owned, features. That, and i got in an accident so the fender and some of the front end is not the same colour as the origonal paint. So i figured instead of leaving it or spending a fortune on having it painted, i might be able to do something at home that would make things hopefully a bit more durable perhaps?

Lol Let me know your thoughts and if you have done it. Also if you have any suggestions for me. Thanks

evans16

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Manual
Hey man, I am not to sure what thats going to look like. All the spray can stuff I have found has not been very great, so you would have to use a gun. So if your going to use a gun why not just paint it? I am tackling my own paint job here in a month or so I figure, let you know how it turns out!

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya i figured it would look to good, but i dont have a gun to paint it myself. And i dont even think i could find a good place to do it either. It doesnt need to look pretty or shiny lol. I was thinking of after all bodywork and such of painting it a nice flat black, but i dont really think i want to make it look perfect incase something happens offroad like it probably will :p

Just wanted to know your guy's opinions on this sort of thing

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well, there's a nice lifted Jeep JK on 37s running around town here and he had his WHOLE VEHICLE sprayed with line-x. Looks BADASS but good luck trying to keep it that way. bedliner tends to fade and its a PAIN in the ass to clean...

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it's expensive, and it's heavy... but i've seen it done a couple times...

you can use herculiner, just watch your hootus...apparently the stuff from canadian tire works well... there's actually a thread in the last 2 days that asked virtually the same question... and the best answer was a motomaster brand stuff (canadian tire) try searching it, i posted so it's one of my subscribed threads too

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do you mean like paint it with roll-on bedliner? Its been done, someone who won truck of the month back in like 2008 had done it to a B2... I think his write up said it was up to 1/4" thick in the spots that are most likely to hit rocks.

It was an idea I thought about, but not really sure how many gallons of bedliner it would take for a whole truck...

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
A friend of mine had a landcruiser once that was done in rhino lining inside and out - but he was a rhino dealer. It looked cool though, but it's alot of extra weight.
The spray can stuff is not that durable IMO, but duplicolor has the spray stuff with kevlar now - that might be more durable.
You can get the bedliner stuff at most paint stores- about $150 to do a truck bed (plus $40 for the gun) so figure at least twice that, if not more. I've used a stuff called Gator linings, that is pretty good, there are other brands.
The roll on stuff may be cheaper, but not sure about the finish since i havent used it.

evans16

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Manual
I started a thread here about 2 days ago, came across Raptor Lining. Say a video on you tube of a full size chevy in it, looked good. Its tintable also. I Think I am going to try this.. first the underside of my truck

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You all say that bedliner is not very durable... This is true? Do you mean that it looses its colour or that it starts to crack and chip off or etc? And in about how long for a canadian-owned and daily-driven truck would you guess?

I was thinking the bedliner kind of thing would look nice. But you guys are right on alot of points... Hmmm.... lol But it sure would be different around here. Never seen it done around here fully

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i wouldn't worry about it fading, or chipping off... just remember you get what you pay for... if you buy cheap stuff, it's not going to last as long... but if you get rhinoliner or something, you're going to pay a few grand, atleast, but it's going to last forever

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I've used the spray can stuff before and it does chip and crack. The regular stuff is usually pretty durable.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My grille guard on my Ranger is painted with Duplicolor bedliner, it is turning from black to grey in places.

Not overy happy with it...

IMO if you are going to paint your truck, do the right prep work and just rattle can it with paint of your choice.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I painted my '89 STX with bedliner almost 12 years ago. It took around 2.5 - 3 gallons (including the inside of the bed, where it belongs) .
It didnt weight all that much, maybe 20 lbs.
It started to fade from blue to a chalky blue color after about a year (spray painted over it, problem solved)

I used Durabak. They told me it wasnt UV stable, and that it would get chalky. They have since come out with Durabak18, which is UV stable. I've never used it, so I cant tell you how it is. The original held up to a lot of offroad punishment without chipping or peeling. Ive seen it peel off easy, the key, just like any other paint or coating is prep work.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the biggest thing is making sure you get a thick coating rubbery type "paint" for the chipping and cracking, and yes, of course, the prep! i think i might do the roll on in my truck eventually, and when i do, i'm worried, because i'm going to do over the rail, and i don't want to sand the nice paint on my box sides

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
basically bedliner, I did mine really quick for a temp keep away salt this winter, and it lasted for the most part. i just sprayed it over rust, but it was only to stop additional salt. Underbody is good long as nothing touches it. I sprayed my grille with bedliner and my frame with undercoating. my grille got sand blasted by a dump truck i changed lanes and was behind... i was mad but, i cant say it faded more then stock paint because my hood also got chipped to shiznit. the underbody rubberized coating on my frame which was just sprayed over rust, lasted a season, so 2 months.
sand and prime and anything will last a decent amount of time and guess what, its cheap enough with a can to do multiple times a year should the need arise.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals