• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Painting truck looking for ideas

Kingoverace

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
EFI 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
yah...only leave the cap on when its needed....I wonder about a 2 tone, like gray on bottom and black above the pin stripe.....Or some color variation like that...

However I've admired super glossy black trucks lately... idk, prob just thinkin bout a 78 Bronco I saw recently.

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
how about bed liner over the POR, then you won't have to undercoat it ever. just another thought.
have you heard of any good bed liners to do this with? i have only ever sprayed raptor liner as an undercoat, but i never heard back from the people who trucks i sprayed that on.

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
yah...only leave the cap on when its needed....I wonder about a 2 tone, like gray on bottom and black above the pin stripe.....Or some color variation like that...

However I've admired super glossy black trucks lately... idk, prob just thinkin bout a 78 Bronco I saw recently.
if i paint the truck, im gonna paint the cap to match. i will try to get some one to photoshop ur black on top gray on bottom paint scheme. you wouldnt happen to have a pic i could referance do you?

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would use Linex, they're using it to spray frames of semi's, should hold up very well.

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
i was thinking herculiner. i guy easily get that and just brush it on. i just dont think that will hold up well. Does anyone know of bedliners i can buy and spray myself as an undercoat?

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
i was thinking herculiner. i guy easily get that and just brush it on. i just dont think that will hold up well. Does anyone know of bedliners i can buy and spray myself as an undercoat?
once i have the funds i will be bedlining the outside of my bronco. its better to roll on since it goes on thicker
herculiner and duplicolor sell diy roll on liner

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
once i have the funds i will be bedlining the outside of my bronco. its better to roll on since it goes on thicker
herculiner and duplicolor sell diy roll on liner
ive definatly been sold on the bedliner. i know the spray on stuff ive used before went on pretty thick. a lot thicker than i have seen rolled on herculiner. maybe the duplicolor is thicker?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did the duplicolor. got a bad can and it was a pos! got a full refund, plus acetone to clean it all off. i'd stick with Herculiner especially if you're brushing it on. and 2-3 thin coats is way better then one thick one when doing it. build it up slowly to the thickness you want. one thick coat and it will start chipping off in no time. also, keep in mind that the POR-15 will have a glossy finish that will need to be scuffed up and dulled good before the bedliner goes on. lotta work, but more than worth it in the end... imho.

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
did the duplicolor. got a bad can and it was a pos! got a full refund, plus acetone to clean it all off. i'd stick with Herculiner especially if you're brushing it on. and 2-3 thin coats is way better then one thick one when doing it. build it up slowly to the thickness you want. one thick coat and it will start chipping off in no time. also, keep in mind that the POR-15 will have a glossy finish that will need to be scuffed up and dulled good before the bedliner goes on. lotta work, but more than worth it in the end... imho.
i was thinking the same thing. With how much work im gonna put into this truck and the time frame in which im gonna do it in, i dont wanna cut any corners. my plan is to start once i get out of school. once i start im hoping to be done in 3-4 weeks start to finish.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how about this... instead of all that sanding, just try using some self-etching primer on the POR and see if that holds well enough for the bedliner to go right over that. that would save tons of time and energy.

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
how about this... instead of all that sanding, just try using some self-etching primer on the POR and see if that holds well enough for the bedliner to go right over that. that would save tons of time and energy.
thats a good idea. im gonna make a few calls and see if the painters i know have tried anything like that too.

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used the duplicolor spray on/ roll on truck bed liner and i sanded, scuffed the inside of the bed and cleaned it alll good and that stuff all peeled off in a couple of months

93rangerguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i would pick a color but paint it with a reaction job. paint it in steps like 100 % paint then 75% paint 25 clear and 50 50 then 25 paint 75 clear then 10 % paint and 90 % clear. Shines like a basterd and looks beautiful in candy red. If you keep the color scheme theirs less sanding!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals