• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Painting truck looking for ideas

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
This summer I want to paint my 1997 ranger. Right now its red and its in pretty good shape, but i want to repaint it from the frame up. the frame and underbody is covered in surface rust. I'm trying to get some ideas of how i should paint it. I'm thinking maybe just red so that i dont have to do the jams and engine compartment. if not red idk what color to do. i want probably a solid color, but maybe a 2 tone. Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

this is my truck.

im not sure if im gonna leave the cap on or take it off. ideas either way would be great. thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
how bout yellow...cause your user name is thebigyellowtruck, and your ranger is red...FTW?!??!

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
how bout yellow...cause your user name is thebigyellowtruck, and your ranger is red...FTW?!??!
i used to have a big old yellow chevy truck. the name kinda just stuck after i sold it to buy the ranger. im trying to stay away from yellow for now. thanks though. lol :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

sparkdic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I personally would remove the cap, its a little bulky for my taste but thats me. For a color scheme I would go back the original red and like a charcol gray from the top feature line down with a 1/4 breakoff line of a contrasting color of your choice, being its your truck.

prerunin554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
caterpillar yellow!

sparkdic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Eh. Cat yellow is like the worse yellow ever... its like someone took 2 bananas and turd, tossed them in a blender and there ya go.

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for ur input, but more ideas would be appreciated. im really not looking to do any kind of yellow. here is a pic of my old truck

i dont wanna do a yellow again

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
charcol gray is the sexyist of all grays, DO IT!!!

and was your old truck a former city/gov/work truck or something, or just wierd color

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
charcol gray is the sexyist of all grays, DO IT!!!

and was your old truck a former city/gov/work truck or something, or just wierd color
im thinking about some kind of red and charcoal gray with maybe a black stripe to break it up.
It was on old city truck, it is a 1988 and i bought it with 62,000 original miles. too bad it idled most of its life so i need to do the rings. instead i sold it for more than i bought it for.

Last edited:

prerunin554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Eh. Cat yellow is like the worse yellow ever... its like someone took 2 bananas and turd, tossed them in a blender and there ya go.
I think they put some baby poo in there too! Its definately a color that is unmistakable :)

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
cat yellow is definatly one of a kind. i matched my truck up and it was school bus yellow. cat yellow is just a horrible vehicle color.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
as you said the frame was covered in surface rust, i'd get a couple of quarts of POR-15 and give it a good coating. same for axle tubes, etc. will delay the rusting process by quite a few years. best part is it brushes on really well. and it dries to a very hard coating, so any drilling or modding should be done before you apply it. that stuff is UV light sensitive, so anything exposed to sunlight should be painted over. just a thought.

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
as you said the frame was covered in surface rust, i'd get a couple of quarts of POR-15 and give it a good coating. same for axle tubes, etc. will delay the rusting process by quite a few years. best part is it brushes on really well. and it dries to a very hard coating, so any drilling or modding should be done before you apply it. that stuff is UV light sensitive, so anything exposed to sunlight should be painted over. just a thought.
that is what i am planning on doing. last year i rebuilt a '79 F-350 from the ground up. i had to por the whole frame and underbody. when i paint this truck im pulling the bed and im gonna wire wheel off the rust best i can and then por the whole frame and underbody. hopefully it will last. i will just have to make sur eto get it undercoated annually once the truck is done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals