• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Painting over rust (e.g. frame)

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Interesting, why so? and what is your preferred brand of rattle can for metal?
I generally use Duplicolor or VHT engine paint, Krylon for stuff that won't get hot, POR 15 for rust encapsulation and exhaust coating. The one time years ago that I used Rustoleum it blistered and peeled. I've painted in my garage since I built it in 1989 with no overspray problems. This summer I used Eastwood epoxy engine paint on the 390 I built becuase that's what the owner wanted and supplied. My toolbox is covered with overspray and I had to have my Mustang and Escape buffed, in addition the fumes were awful. I'll never use Eastwood engine paint again.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
The wonderful world of paint.

You guys ever watch Bob Ross? Its therapeutic.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I generally use Duplicolor or VHT engine paint, Krylon for stuff that won't get hot, POR 15 for rust encapsulation and exhaust coating. The one time years ago that I used Rustoleum it blistered and peeled. I've painted in my garage since I built it in 1989 with no overspray problems. This summer I used Eastwood epoxy engine paint on the 390 I built becuase that's what the owner wanted and supplied. My toolbox is covered with overspray and I had to have my Mustang and Escape buffed, in addition the fumes were awful. I'll never use Eastwood engine paint again.
I was a booth painter for some years. Normally we sprayed with catalyzed paints such as PPG. We also liked Sherwin Williams for non automotive applications. There is a downside to just about every kind of paint.

Spray cans like Rustoleum and most evaporative paints are limited. Some are better than others, but they just do not last very long, especially on the frame which is exposed to saltwater and brake dust. Whenever possible I spray 3 or more coats as per their suggestion.

When dry, I try to spray a clear coat sealer over the top, maybe in two coats. For some reason, sealers are extremely sensitive to dust. They wrinkle up with even the slightest surface impurities. Duplicolor is a little better than others but I found the best rattle can clear coat to be Krylon acrylic urethane. Polyurethane is better, but yellows over time. Acrylic urethanes lay down nicely and will stay crystal clear.

The best paint is catalysed or epoxy. These paints do not "dry," but "set.". Eastwood makes a 2 part epoxy spray in a can. They also have another (1 part?) epoxy spray too. They are expensive, $25.00 per can. I've used them both and found them to provide good coverage, lay in well, and set up hard. I've yet to mention them in my own posts, because these are relatively new products that have no proven track record, at least not in my world.

I've never had overspray problems. I work inside the garage but would never spray anywhere close to another car, no matter what the paint. Overspray is quite unpredictable, even in the garage. Ait currents change with the weather, humidity, and the temperatures inside and out. I've touched up the Ranger once or twice, but covered the entire truck with drop cloths first.

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I was a booth painter for some years. Normally we sprayed with catalyzed paints such as PPG. We also liked Sherwin Williams for non automotive applications. There is a downside to just about every kind of paint.

Spray cans like Rustoleum and most evaporative paints are limited. Some are better than others, but they just do not last very long, especially on the frame which is exposed to saltwater and brake dust. Whenever possible I spray 3 or more coats as per their suggestion.

When dry, I try to spray a clear coat sealer over the top, maybe in two coats. For some reason, sealers are extremely sensitive to dust. They wrinkle up with even the slightest surface impurities. Duplicolor is a little better than others but I found the best rattle can clear coat to be Krylon acrylic urethane. Polyurethane is better, but yellows over time. Acrylic urethanes lay down nicely and will stay crystal clear.

The best paint is catalysed or epoxy. These paints do not "dry," but "set.". Eastwood makes a 2 part epoxy spray in a can. They also have another (1 part?) epoxy spray too. They are expensive, $25.00 per can. I've used them both and found them to provide good coverage, lay in well, and set up hard. I've yet to mention them in my own posts, because these are relatively new products that have no proven track record, at least not in my world.

I've never had overspray problems. I work inside the garage but would never spray anywhere close to another car, no matter what the paint. Overspray is quite unpredictable, even in the garage. Ait currents change with the weather, humidity, and the temperatures inside and out. I've touched up the Ranger once or twice, but covered the entire truck with drop cloths first.
It was Eastwood's 2 part epoxy paint, I've never had an overspray problem with a car sitting in the next stall and a fan blowing out the window creating a slight negative pressure.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
funny how overspray on a unintended unprepared surface can be so hard to removed and if left alone seems to last.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals