• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

paint

joey74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I been gone for a while. I'm going to paint my truck and I was thinking flat black. First question whats the different between matte and satin black? Second question I can't find a clear coat for flat or satin so what do all you ranger station friends do? Thanks joey!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What kind of paint are you looking to use? Spray cans, lacquer, enamel, urethane? Catalyzed (automotive two part) paint?

Matte and satin will be pretty similar, every company has a different definition but in my mind satin is just slightly more glossy. Some don't even sell either of those...they will just go flat, semi-gloss, gloss. I see that there are matte and flat clears out there but mostly in spray cans. I wouldn't bother using that for an automotive application... the sun will bake it off pretty quick.

My recommendations depend on how in depth you want to go. Your cheap option is flat Rustoleum or similar paint. It will oxidize and be chalky pretty fast, just the nature of the product.

Second option would be to shoot it with black epoxy primer... will hold up slightly better than Rustoleum because it's catalyzed. Probably pretty cheap, just need to prep it appropriately. Epoxy primer will hold up better than a 2k urethane primer.

Third option would be to prime the vehicle and then shoot it with a 2K (catalyzed two part) single stage automotive paint... many options out there... TCP Global sells Hot Rod Black, Eastwood sells Dead Rat, etc. That's going to be the most durable but also the most work to prep and shoot it.

joey74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your reply. Well I was going to use rust oleum flat black enamel. Will it be chalky if clear coated?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Any cheap paint is going to break down and chalk if you leave it out in the sun. Good paints have more UV inhibitors. I suspect that aerosol clear coat would hold up well on arts & crafts projects, things indoors, etc... I think you are best off just skipping the clear coat if you're going to use Rustoleum. It's gonna be what it's gonna be, a cheap paint that will end up chalky.

joey74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
If i use the epoxy primer and use matte clear coat will it look like like a matte black paint job?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Probably...but I think if you're going to the effort of spraying it twice, you should just prime it and then use a single stage flat black top coat. I am not a paint guy by any means but I suspect you will have a hard time finding an appropriate "matte" clear coat... the point of clear coats in the auto industry is (1) to add depth and gloss to the base coat, and (2) to add UV protection and a relatively thick, hard surface over the base coat that you can buff scratches out of. I just don't see the point of a clear coat if there's no UV protection.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you are going to go the rattle can route, I would look at Rust-Oleim camouflage 2X route. I’ve used it quite a bit on my utility trailer and it has held up pretty well out in the weather.

I would stay away from the cheap clear coat sprays in a can. Either go pro or leave it bare.

docmott

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4wd
Transmission
Manual
Rust-Oleim with corn starch works great it will come out nice n flat

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
John Deere Blitz Black is my go to for generic black paint to keep rust off. It is flat black.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Sounds like thus is low budget. So my 2 cents probably doesn't matter. In the paint shop I work in, the "gloss" or "matte" finish is determined solely by the clearcoat. It's all the same basecoat for us. But that is using premium automotive paints - water based color basecoats with 2-part clearcoats applied.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals