• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Paint Options and other questions

work_in_progress

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
First, a local shop is having a deal for $270 base price paint jobs, so I'm rushing to earn the money and get my BII running, so now i have a possible issue: either way, I will black out the truck, so should I do gloss or satin? My friend's dad is taking his '70s Suburban to be painted OD Satin, so what should I do?

Second, on the A4LD, the on the left and right sides of the bell housing is the locator tabs, but I cannot figure out which bolts go there. They are 13mm for sure, but how long are they? Does anyone know? :icon_confused:I bought the transmission with the car, but it was already out and disconnected from the motor so I have no way of knowing. Any help is much appreciated.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Wow, I'd like to know what paint they are using, Rustoleum perhaps? My buddy just painted his Bronco with single stage red "commercial & fleet paint" from the body shop supply store. He had like $500 into primer and paint and the stuff he used was about the lowest grade you can get.

I would also check how much prep they want YOU to do...do they do any at all? Masking? Sanding? Seems like for that price they are going to try and talk to you into a lot of prep (which is required, and will obviously increase the price dramatically.)

Anyway to answer your gloss vs satin question, my opinion would be that it depends how many little imperfections in the truck's body there are - scratches, dings, small dents, etc. Satin will hide them better than gloss, to a certain extent. It'll also make future scratches and stuff slightly less noticeable, although I think satin looks like crap in most cases and I'd go with gloss.

Remember that black is also notorious for making imperfections visible more than most other colors.

Just some thoughts.

work_in_progress

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the opinion. I am gonna wait until i see the outcome of the Suburban before I choose. You do put some valid points. I haven't really dug deep into it, so i am still fuzzy on some of the facts. Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals