• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Paint Estimate

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Just getting the roof on my half ton redone is 3k. Because the front and back windows have to pulled, the interior has to be pulled,. The electrical junk has to undone and pulled, the seam sealer has to be scraped out, any rust has to be fixed, and then resealed at the seams and repainted
Exactly! People think I was crazy for spending so much on paint. All except the truck gets a new lease on life, costs less than half the price of new, can last another 10-20 years. Most drive trains cost a lot less than new paint.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Just getting the roof on my half ton redone is 3k. Because the front and back windows have to pulled, the interior has to be pulled,. The electrical junk has to undone and pulled, the seam sealer has to be scraped out, any rust has to be fixed, and then resealed at the seams and repainted
Yes. If you want it done right.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Not at all off topic! Where would one get a DIY powder coat kit?

My problem is that I have inherited a rusty frame. I have some limited options: 1. I can sand it and strip it and repaint. (Very very difficult!) maybe even powder coat. 2. Paint it with POR or any good rusty metal primer.

I'm thing option 2 is good, but up north here I know rust will be back. So I will put a coat of 2 part clear epoxy over the top of it all. Most epoxies contain some very strong solvents which could eat into the paint, but Synmast does not. It is used as a coating for fiberglass and even styrofoam. It has no liquids.
I've done the same to my old truck and stopped the rust dead in its tracks.

PolyGem sells it.
Harbor freight sells a powder coating kit.

The problem your going to run in to though, is acquiring an oven large enough to stick a whole frame in.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic

The problem your going to run in to though, is acquiring an oven large enough to stick a whole frame in.
Exactly. That's why I'm going to try an non solvent based epoxy coating on top of a rusty metal primer like POR.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo

As Shakespeare would say....Aye, that's the rub.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Do it yourself. It takes time for sure but as long as you don't rush things it will come out nice. Mine took a couple of months with bodywork and paint. $700 in paint and supplies.

2 gnats gave their life for the clear coat and 1 run on the front corner above the turn signal.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Do it yourself. It takes time for sure but as long as you don't rush things it will come out nice. Mine took a couple of months with bodywork and paint. $700 in paint and supplies.

View attachment 72648

View attachment 72650

View attachment 72649

View attachment 72651

View attachment 72652

View attachment 72653

2 gnats gave their life for the clear coat and 1 run on the front corner above the turn signal.
Jesus Murphy that looks like about a million hours of work...but if you have the, skill, space, and time....sweet

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Jesus Murphy that looks like about a million hours of work...but if you have the, skill, space, and time....sweet
Actually, the paint was done over 3 or 4 weekends, each Saturday about 3-4 hours, masking/taping off is the hard part. Spraying was the easiest part. The sun did the baking for me.

Body work that is another story, I think it took 5/6 months, 3/4 weekends each. Probably 5/6 hours each day. The truck is certainly not perfect, but I'm very satisfied with it.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
@dvdswan are you putting the supercharged V6 in that rig? I haven't been on IN in a while, but I thought that was you trying to get the supercharged v6 running.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
@dvdswan are you putting the supercharged V6 in that rig? I haven't been on IN in a while, but I thought that was you trying to get the supercharged v6 running.
Nope, 2003 Tahoe drivetrain, 5.3L/4L60/NP241C

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
TexasDuck66,

If you can paint it if you know a buddy that will friendster you, there is one other consideration; the cost of the paint.

Depending on the desired end finish, you may want Dupont Emron or perhaps you will be satisfied with an more "industrial" paint. The local paint shop will be able to recommend a number of paint kits that hold up well, depending on your budget and desired finish.

My daughter's 1st car wasn't much to look at, so we selected 2 nice colors, one for the car and the other for the ground effects. The paint shop sold an industrial paint used for heavy equipment and other systems requiring a very durable finish.

It was $37/gl and it just needed a little extra solvent to achieve a good flow.

We worked together on it and did the entire job for under $100. That included sandpaper, paint, solvents, tape, paper, cheese cloth, gloves and cleaning materials. I use 75% of the semi gloss black and 90% of the quart of light gray for the lower portions.

That was 8 years ago, it still looks good, even without a clear coat.

TexasDuck66

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock LIft
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
235/75/R15s
TexasDuck66,

If you can paint it if you know a buddy that will friendster you, there is one other consideration; the cost of the paint.

Depending on the desired end finish, you may want Dupont Emron or perhaps you will be satisfied with an more "industrial" paint. The local paint shop will be able to recommend a number of paint kits that hold up well, depending on your budget and desired finish.

My daughter's 1st car wasn't much to look at, so we selected 2 nice colors, one for the car and the other for the ground effects. The paint shop sold an industrial paint used for heavy equipment and other systems requiring a very durable finish.

It was $37/gl and it just needed a little extra solvent to achieve a good flow.

We worked together on it and did the entire job for under $100. That included sandpaper, paint, solvents, tape, paper, cheese cloth, gloves and cleaning materials. I use 75% of the semi gloss black and 90% of the quart of light gray for the lower portions.

That was 8 years ago, it still looks good, even without a clear coat.
The exact paint job I had in mind was the 87' XLT Super Cab I attached with this reply. I had an 88' Single Cab with this same two tone and I know if I get my 83' painted any other way, I wouldn't be 100% happy with it.

This 4x4 83' I've bought the last week is such a fun little truck. The 4 Banger gets good enough mileage and I'm currently in California for the military. I'm just trying to figure out how much it'll cost for THAT exact paint job.

Attachments

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If this is a color change from what the truck was originally, don't forget to do door jambs, doors, and anywhere in the interior that have metal showing. This will obviously add to the cost, but look better when complete and your satisfaction level will also go up.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
TexasDuck66,

You can achieve the same "paint job" look with many different paint systems. By paint systems, I'm referring to:
• polyurethane
• epoxy
• epoxy polimde
• laquer
• water based

The different systems have slightly different application processes and completely unrelated costs.

If you speak with the local automotive paint supply company, show them the colors you desire, they will be able to recommend 3-5 different systems, costs and processes.

I know that it can be done for under $200 in paint is you chose to use epoxy paints as that are more affordable and the process is very simple. Since you are in Cali your options can be limited to water based polyurethanes which are a little more pricey but very durable.

You need to speak with the paint supplier and the painter. Different painters have paint systems they won't touch and it depends on their paint booth type and access as different paint systems have different paint booth filtration requirements.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals