• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Paint Estimate

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Hey there, I've been a avid fan of 1st and 2nd Gen Rangers for a while now. I got rid of my 88' 2WD Auto a few months ago in hopes of finding a nice 4x4 '5 Speed 83-92 model Ranger. I finally found one, a single cab 83' with the 2.3L, 4x4, '4 Speed Manual. The interior has been redone to black and outside is currently primer but is ready to be painted.

I absolutely loved Ford Medium Regatta Blue on my old Ranger along with the trim it had running along the bottom of the truck. Does anyone know how much it would cost to get this same paint job on another 80s model Ranger?View attachment 71356

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I got mine repainted for about $11,000.00. I could have had it done for less, but I wanted no issues. They removed the bed, the doors, the hood, the tailgate, the front and rear bumpers, as well as all the light fixtures, door handles, front and rear windows. I'm glad they did. They found leaks around the windshield and a few other minor issues which would have surfaced in time. The second and third fotos show the Ranger getting reassembled in the shop. I've painted a few in my time, but a good spray booth assures a flawless dust free finish.

Attachments

Last edited:

TexasDuck66

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock LIft
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
235/75/R15s
I am in California but the costs are the same across the US.
On my last project at the moment, a '68 Triumph Spitfire, painting it today and tomorrow. Gallon of midnight blue paint plus hardener was $230 delivered.
I'm actually located in San Diego as of right now. I just got the truck yesterday and it's a lot better in person.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I'm actually located in San Diego as of right now. I just got the truck yesterday and it's a lot better in person.
Very good! Owners often think nothing about expensive mechanical upgrades, but the biggest is paint and body. This summer I hope to paint the frame and give it a clear coat of Synmast epoxy. I've use this stuff before and know it will last. Send us some fotos please!

Last edited:

TexasDuck66

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock LIft
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
235/75/R15s
Very good! Owners often think nothing about expensive mechanical upgrades, but the biggest upgrade is paint and body. This summer I hope to paint the frame and give it a clear coat of Synmast epoxy. I've use this stuff before and know it will last. Send us some fotos please!

Here she is in all her glory. The truck runs and drives super nice. The carb and timing is so dialed in that you can turn the key and it starts up with in less than a second.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
There seems to be very few older model Rangers left anymore, especially up here in here in the north. People took them for granted, worked them hard, and let them slowly rust to death. Very nice upgrades too! Thanks!

TexasDuck66

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock LIft
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
235/75/R15s
There seems to be very few older model Rangers left anymore, especially up here in here in the north. Very nice upgrades too! Thanks!
You're welcome, this setup is really sought after when it comes to these trucks. Plus it's a late 82' built for 83' so it's a first batch production Ranger which makes it even more cool. I'm not sure what to do first, it's mechanically sound and has no issues what so ever..not yet anyway lol. Everything is cosmetic wise. I plan on putting the stock 5 Spoke star pattern rims on them, chrome roll bar, and KC lights. Paint is gonna be the most expensive part.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I drove one of those many moon ago when I was a security guard. It was a 4 cylinder stick and kept in constant use three shifts a week. I'm sure the company bought it because they were inexpensive to operate.

TBH I like the more traditional billet wheels like the ones on yours right now. It's more "old school," a nice nod to early times.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Off topic, but made me think of it. I always wanted one of those DIY powder coat at home kits.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Off topic, but made me think of it. I always wanted one of those DIY powder coat at home kits.
Not at all off topic! Where would one get a DIY powder coat kit?

My problem is that I have inherited a rusty frame. I have some limited options: 1. I can sand it and strip it and repaint. (Very very difficult!) maybe even powder coat. 2. Paint it with POR or any good rusty metal primer.

I'm thing option 2 is good, but up north here I know rust will be back. So I will put a coat of 2 part clear epoxy over the top of it all. Most epoxies contain some very strong solvents which could eat into the paint, but Synmast does not. It is used as a coating for fiberglass and even styrofoam. It has no liquids.
I've done the same to my old truck and stopped the rust dead in its tracks.

PolyGem sells it.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Not at all off topic! Where would one get a DIY powder coat kit?

My problem is that I have inherited a rusty frame. I have some limited options: 1. I can sand it and strip it and repaint. (Very very difficult!) maybe even powder coat. 2. Paint it with POR or any good rusty metal primer.

I'm thing option 2 is good, but up north here I know rust will be back. So I will put a coat of 2 part clear epoxy over the top of it all. Most epoxies contain some very strong solvents which could eat into the paint, but Synmast does not. It is used as a coating for fiberglass and even styrofoam. It has no liquids.
I've done the same to my old truck and stopped the rust dead in its tracks.

PolyGem sells it.
I used to see ads for them back in the days of magazines. Stove not included....but a regular size stove would work for me. I'd only do small stuff.

I would POR a frame.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic

Attachments

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Just getting the roof on my half ton redone is 3k. Because the front and back windows have to pulled, the interior has to be pulled,. The electrical junk has to undone and pulled, the seam sealer has to be scraped out, any rust has to be fixed, and then resealed at the seams and repainted

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals