• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PAG Oil Question

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
How much oil should I put in the AC system?
I'm replacing the condenser, receiver/drier, and orifice tube.
And should I just pour it all in the drier?
04 4.0
Thank you

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You most likely will not be able to get it all in the dryer. I just did this on my wifes honda. I had the factory manual and it had the ounces for each component. I don't know if anyone here has a factory manual for your truck.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You need to drain all the oil you can from each component, and add that much.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You most likely will not be able to get it all in the dryer. I just did this on my wifes honda. I had the factory manual and it had the ounces for each component. I don't know if anyone here has a factory manual for your truck.
Yeah it would be nice to find a PDF of the manual, I've only seen paper copies on eBay for around $80

You need to drain all the oil you can from each component, and add that much.
Thank you that was my understanding, just wasn't sure if I needed to add any extra, the system was empty when I bought the truck and I'm not sure how long it's been empty, 2 years minimum.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I found a 2003 Ford Ranger procedure in my Ford dvd. Not sure how different the 2004 is.

CAUTION: During normal A/C operation, oil is circulated through the system with the refrigerant, and a small amount is retained in each component. If certain components of the system are removed for new installation, some of the refrigerant oil will go with the component. To maintain the original total oil charge, it is necessary to compensate for the oil lost by adding oil to the system with the new part.

1. NOTE: Service A/C compressors are shipped without compressor oil.
    Rotate the A/C compressor shaft six to eight revolutions while collecting oil in a clean measuring device.
    • If the amount of oil drained from the old A/C compressor is between 85-142 ml (3-5 ounces), pour the same amount plus 30 ml (1 ounce) of clean PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil (R-134a Systems) F7AZ-19589-DA (Motorcraft YN-12-C) WSH M1C231-B or equivalent into the new A/C compressor.
    • If the amount of oil that was removed from the old A/C compressor is greater than 142 ml (5 ounces), pour the same amount drained of clean PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil (R-134a Systems) or equivalent into the new A/C compressor.
    • If the amount of oil that was removed from the old A/C compressor is less than 85 ml (3 ounces), pour 85 ml (3 ounces) of clean PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil (R-134a Systems) or equivalent into the new A/C compressor.

1. For the suction accumulator/drier, drill one 13 mm (0.52 in) hole in the suction accumulator/drier cylinder and drain the oil into a calibrated container.
    • Add a quantity of new oil to match that drained from the old suction accumulator/drier plus 60 ml (2 ounces) of clean PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil (R-134a Systems) or equivalent.

1. For the A/C evaporator core, add 89 ml (3 ounces) of clean PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil (R-134a Systems) or equivalent to the suction accumulator/drier inlet tube.

1. For the A/C condenser core, add 30 ml (1 ounce) of clean PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil (R-134a Systems) or equivalent to the A/C condenser core or the suction accumulator/drier inlet tube.

1. Add 60 ml (2 ounces) of clean PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil (R-134a Systems) or equivalent to the suction accumulator/drier inlet tube when carrying out each of the following repairs:
    • installation of a new A/C evaporator core orifice
    • installation of a new A/C compressor pressure relief valve (19D644)
    • installation of a new refrigerant line
    • repair of an O-ring seal leak
    • repair of a charge port leak

1. Installation of new components that do not require discharge of refrigerant and resulting oil loss, such as the A/C cycling switch and the A/C pressure transducer, do not require additional oil.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Awesome thank you for posting that

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals