• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

p0500 Need help

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Ok so my truck has been having some very erratic shifting in the transmission. I pulled the codes and got P0500. My speedometer never stopped working anyway. Naturally a replaced the VSS on the side of my transmission and this did nothing to resolve my issue. Not sure where to go from here. Kind of curious if anyone else has had this issue and resolved it. My ride is a 1996 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 auto. I am getting somewhat desperate on this one so someone's prompt reply would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
are u using the same size tires as stock? and if so have u checked the voltage to the sensor to see if its correct, im not very familiar with vss but a quick search on google provided plenty of info to troubleshoot it.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Well I suck at electric stuff. took it to 2 tranny shops today. Both of them told me same thing, it's an internal sensor that needs replacing, Tranny has 72K on it and last one died at 70k so i guess its time for number 3. My prefered shop (like their pricing better) Sells rebuilt transmissions. I was quoted on 2 diffrent options there. $1,200 rebuilt transmission installed or $1,800 rebuilt transmission with shift kit and heavy duty torque converter. Do you think it's worth the extra $600? I can care less about performance enhancing but I would like more durability. IMO the 4r55e is a pos....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals