• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

P0325?

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Sup guys, I just bought a new OBD2 scanner and while my truck isn't throwing an engine light I decided to scan it anyways. Only a p0325 knock sensor code came up.
I searched the webs and couldn't find anything on the 3.0L .
In fact, I read these engines didn't come with a knock sensor?

P0325 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction Bank 1

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You are correct, 3.0l Vulcan engine never had a Knock Sensor, 1991 to 2008 in Rangers

Best guess is new code reader goofed

P0325 WOULD turn on the CEL immediately, knock sensor fault is important, engine damage can occur if engine is run with no knock sensor on engines that required one, which are generally higher compression engines

Last edited:

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok thank you Ron

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
You are correct, 3.0l Vulcan engine never had a Knock Sensor, 1991 to 2008 in Rangers

Best guess is new code reader goofed

P0325 WOULD turn on the CEL immediately, knock sensor fault is important, engine damage can occur if engine is run with no knock sensor on engines that required one, which are generally higher compression engines
Hey Ron, I had the computer scanned at a parts store and the same P0325 code came up along with 3 GEM codes

P0325 - Knock/combustion vibration sensor 1 circuit bank 1 malfunction

Cam synchro code???

B1318 - Battery Voltage Low
B1359 - Ignition run/accessory circuit failure
P0500 - Vehicle Speed sensor malfunction

There are no dummy or check engine lights on and the truck idles/runs fine. Sometimes it'll jerk when I decelerate and get a jolt here and there when shifting gears.

The battery was replaced a month ago under warranty.

I quick search on b1359 points to people having a no crank no start situation. Something I haven't ever dealt with since owning the truck.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
P0500 in 2002 Ranger would mean the Speed sensor(OSS) on the transmission tail shaft(or transfer case, 4x4) is not sending a signal to the PCM(computer)
And in 2002 that would also mean the speedometer is not working, since the PCM gets the speed signal from the OSS and then converts it to the 8,000PPM signal the speedometer uses, so if you have P0500 then speedometer can't work because PCM has no signal to convert
If you have an automatic trans P0500 would also cause hard shifts, instead of smooth, it would bang into other gears when shifting, its called "limp mode", which is safer for transmission, even though it feels harsher

So if speedometer is working...........................???

B1318 - Battery Voltage Low, could be engine stalled at some point?
B1359 - Ignition run/accessory circuit failure, same here, engine stalled maybe?
P0325 - not a clue, Cam sensor codes are 340-344

These are valid codes but...................assuming speedometer is working, I think your PCM is having a mental break down, lol.

Have all the codes been cleared now?
So you can see if any come back

They just don't make much sense

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
P0500 in 2002 Ranger would mean the Speed sensor(OSS) on the transmission tail shaft(or transfer case, 4x4) is not sending a signal to the PCM(computer)
And in 2002 that would also mean the speedometer is not working, since the PCM gets the speed signal from the OSS and then converts it to the 8,000PPM signal the speedometer uses, so if you have P0500 then speedometer can't work because PCM has no signal to convert
If you have an automatic trans P0500 would also cause hard shifts, instead of smooth, it would bang into other gears when shifting, its called "limp mode", which is safer for transmission, even though it feels harsher

So if speedometer is working...........................???

B1318 - Battery Voltage Low, could be engine stalled at some point?
B1359 - Ignition run/accessory circuit failure, same here, engine stalled maybe?
P0325 - not a clue, Cam sensor codes are 340-344

These are valid codes but...................assuming speedometer is working, I think your PCM is having a mental break down, lol.

Have all the codes been cleared now?
So you can see if any come back

They just don't make much sense
Yes the Speedometer is working. Although it would sometimes bounce around when parked. It hasn't done that in months. Same with the low voltage. Some times the needle would read low.

Last time the truck stalled was when I cleaned the MAF sensor and forgot to plug it back in lol. That was a couple of weeks ago. I assume these are stored codes then.

I guess I should disconnect the battery and clear the PCMs memory.

Quick question about the speed sensor, there should only be one at the rear differential? Rock Auto only lists speed sensors for front right/left and rear for my specific vehicle. None for the transmission as seen on a YouTube video.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rear axle sensor is for ABS brakes, it was used as a speed sensor on 1998 to 2000 Rangers, GEM was used to convert this sensor's pulses to the 8,000ppm speedometer needed
Yes, with 4 wheel ABS there are 3 "speed" sensors(VSS) but only 1998 to 2000 Rangers used the rear axle sensor for speedometer AND ABS

In 2001 Rangers got the OSS(output shaft speed) sensor on the transmission or transfer case, this ran directly to the PCM(computer) and it converted the OSS sensors pulses to the 8,000ppm signal needed by speedometer
It may be listed as a transmission part

Speed signal comes from pin 68 on computer, 2001 and up, the 4cyl 2.5L Ranger didn't switch until 2001.5, when it got the Duratec 2.3l DOHC engine, but 2002 and up all used OSS

OSS also has its own trouble codes, transmission codes, P0720 to P0723
Not all code readers can "see" transmission codes, P0700 to P0804

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals