• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

P0231, will crank/no start

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
Okay. So the Ranger has decided to play dead on me. 140k on the clock. Cranks strong, won't start. Scanned, pulled a P0231 code - but no CEL. Had it towed to the Ford dealer that I use for service and spoke with my SA about it, and when I stuck the key in and cranked it - it started. šŸ¤¬

Obviously it's intermittent, and a giant PITA. In your experience (speaking to Ford service techs who might see this) is it generally fuel pump, a relay or what? Fuel gauge works correctly so I'm figuring (rightly or wrongly) that the pump's not the culprit.

TIA

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
See if you have the returnless fuel system with the pump module mounted in the back. If you do, I believe they had problems with this module since it was mounted up high in the tank area where it sees a lot of road dirt and water and has a tough life up there.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1983 to 2011 Rangers didn't have fuel pump Driver modules like other Ford trucks, yes they were an issue

P0231 Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit Low

This code means the fuel pump didn't get the full 12volts with key on, at some point in the past
You could replace Fuel Pump Relay just on speculation, and unplug fuel pump fuse and look at it connectors for corrosion

2010 does have PATS so when the battery gets old it can have No Start issues
Test battery voltage after truck has been sitting 4 to 6 hours, overnight is better
Do not start engine
New battery will read 12.8volts
12.5v is 3 year old battery
12.3v is a 5/6 year old battery and time to watch for battery sales

12.2v or less is a failed battery, change it now

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals