• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OX Locker

Battle Phrog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I am new to this site. So...hello!...I have a 1998 Ranger 4x4. I would like to turn it into a competent trail truck on a budget that does a large amount of time on pavement. The kinds of trail work it will do is similar to the Mojave Road and Anza Borrego stuff. It has the SALA Dana 35 up front and the 7.5 in the rear. I would like at least one selectable locker in it....since there seems to be no selectable locker options for the 7.5....I'm looking for a 28 spline 8.8 someone would like to sell or a locker for the front. OX Locker shows they offer an option for the 27 spline Dana 35. Does anyone know if it is compatible with the Ranger's version of the Dana 35?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
What motor do you have? Are you sure it’s a 7.5” rear?

The 8.8 rear out of a Ranger (all 4.0l trucks) is a bolt in. Explorers had the 8.8 up until 2002, it will fit but you have to flip the spring perches on the axle (cut and weld), but you can get rear disk brakes with that swap

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
As far as I know, there aren't any selectable lockers for the SLA axles. You can do a lock right style unit or a mechanical limited slip.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
the biggest (and a fairly cheap mod) that you can do to your truck is get rid of the vacuum activated hubs. there is a manual locker option out there, or even better yet convert it to a live axle like the newer Rangers.

and what they all said about the 8.8.

overall, I think you will be happy with the performance off road even in stock form if you are not pounding on it, and even some light pounding won't faze it too much.

AJ

Battle Phrog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What motor do you have? Are you sure it’s a 7.5” rear?

The 8.8 rear out of a Ranger (all 4.0l trucks) is a bolt in. Explorers had the 8.8 up until 2002, it will fit but you have to flip the spring perches on the axle (cut and weld), but you can get rear disk brakes with that swap
Thanks for the input. I have the 3.0...runs well with over 200K on it. I do have the 7.5. Per the axle tag it is also geared with 3.73s.

Battle Phrog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
As far as I know, there aren't any selectable lockers for the SLA axles. You can do a lock right style unit or a mechanical limited slip.
If any of you have the time, please take a look at the OX site under the Dana 35 tab and see what you think. I talked to one of the sales guys at OX and he said if it's a Dana 35 it should work, however, by his reaction, he had never addressed that question before. I know the Ranger has minimal clearance on the differential cover side of things and OX has the locker mechanism on the differential cover, I was concerned about clearance issues.

I have also talked to the local axle shop and since they usually don't do much work on Rangers or instal OX products, he didn't know

Battle Phrog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the site.
Thanks much! I have to say, i am impressed by the quick responses by members. So, thanks to you that took the time to respond.

Battle Phrog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
the biggest (and a fairly cheap mod) that you can do to your truck is get rid of the vacuum activated hubs. there is a manual locker option out there, or even better yet convert it to a live axle like the newer Rangers.

and what they all said about the 8.8.

overall, I think you will be happy with the performance off road even in stock form if you are not pounding on it, and even some light pounding won't faze it too much.

AJ
Hubs are on the list for sure. I know there are several brands to choose from. I haven't seen any posts on this site concerning the reliability of any of the brands. Do you have a recommendation? (Rugged Ridge, Mile Marker, Dynamic Performance?).

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Hubs are on the list for sure. I know there are several brands to choose from. I haven't seen any posts on this site concerning the reliability of any of the brands. Do you have a recommendation? (Rugged Ridge, Mile Marker, Dynamic Performance?).
I have a 97 so I have not had to deal with that issue. With that said, I have only heard of Mile Marker, couldn't tell you if it is the best of the options. Hit up our tech library and the 1998+ problems thread, you might get some insight there

AJ

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I would not recommend a locker for the SLA. The weak point is the half shafts and they have a reputation of breaking with a locker.

A limited slip is a much better option if you want to upgrade your front differential.

The live axle conversion is also a great idea.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
As I recall, AVM/Rugged Ridge was the original vendor for the manual hubs when the became available (imported from somewhere, maybe South America). Mile Marker came on the market later. No idea on quality difference. I have MM's, but mine a) have virtually no miles so far, and b) I no longer have the -slightest- idea why I chose one over the other. Dynamic Performance is a name I hadn't heard of before.

Battle Phrog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
As I recall, AVM/Rugged Ridge was the original vendor for the manual hubs when the became available (imported from somewhere, maybe South America). Mile Marker came on the market later. No idea on quality difference. I have MM's, but mine a) have virtually no miles so far, and b) I no longer have the -slightest- idea why I chose one over the other. Dynamic Performance is a name I hadn't heard of before.
Thanks for the info. They are both about the same price and not that expensive. I'll probably go with the 1st ones on scene (Rugged Ridge).

Battle Phrog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I would not recommend a locker for the SLA. The weak point is the half shafts and they have a reputation of breaking with a locker.

A limited slip is a much better option if you want to upgrade your front differential.

The live axle conversion is also a great idea.
Yep...I've been hitting up the junk yard web sites in my area looking for an 8.8. I would source one off the internet but the freight is as expensive as the axle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals