• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overridin/fixing the PATS in my 2004

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
PATS types here: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/pdf/pats_job_aid.pdf

Yes, Ford used Type A in Rangers 1999/2000, separate module, above glove box
Then used Type E 2001-2004, PATS in PCM
Then switched to Type C or G with PATS in instrument cluster

Type A module was connected to starter relay directly so could cause a No Starter motor activation

I don't see that on Type C or G, I don't see a wire from instrument cluster to starter motor relay as seen in Type A
Starter interrupt comes from pin 2 on PCM in 2007 starter wiring

I do know if you unplug the instrument cluster in 2004 and up Ranger engine will not start, first year of the HEC(hybrid electronic cluster)
I don't think this was PATS related, the HEC and PCM are "married" so one won't work without the other, this was Ford's answer to the problem of people swapping in low mile odometers in to high mile vehicles, HEC and PCM both have odometer miles stored in memory, these must match on start up or no start, and if there is no communications to compare then also a no start
The "marrying" means each unit shares an RSA encryption Key number so they can "talk", if you swap in a different HEC or PCM then no communications because they have different RSA Key numbers

2007 PATS wiring below

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals