• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overnight ignition issue (Duraspark/HEI) Cranks fine when ignition is unplugged. Acts as if its way too advanced when hooked up

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
However much it goes up when I get my fat ass out.
Total Drop
How much it goes down when my fat ass gets in.
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
So, I got home Saturday and my wheel cylinder blew out. I replaced it Monday as It was raining cats and dogs Sunday.
Saturday night I was fiddling with the timing, carb, and so on since I was having an issue with it but got it fixed. I tested it cold and hot starts and it cranked/started up fine.

Jump to monday after work. I rebuilt the drum and replaced the wheel cylinder. I went to start it up and I cranked it and it cranked until I pumped the gas 2 times to set the choke (Manual) and it cranked and made a loud crash/clunk. So I was like WTF is my starter acting like a bitch again... Pulled it down and it seemed fine. Teeth were fine. I installed it and it still did it... I then tested the ignition by unplugging it and cranked it while it was unplugged and it cranked proved the starter was "OK"

So jump to today. Ive messed with timing. Set it to 0 degrees BTDC and set it to 5, 10, and 12. All did the same thing... I dont understand why/how this happed or what...

If anyone has any helpful tips please share...

UPDATE: After making this post I had put the battery on the charger (I tested it and it seemed good during my tests) and I just got back from outside and working on it. The starter does sound like its going out sadly but I got it to start and run. I reset my timing and make sure my alt/gen was charging my battery. It started right back up as normal...

SO I guess if anyone has this issue. Check your battery, charge your battery, and if youve done the starter mod/upgrade/rebuild as I did (10 tooth drive gear) than Make sure your starter isnt walking away from the flywheel (It will over time. SO you might have to loosen and push it back in place... Sad we have to do this...) but Im gonna buy a new starter and new drive gear and build a new starter for when mine goes to the great beyond (Fall out New Vegas Reverence) and I can just slap a new one in...

UPDATE 2: Update harder.

Its doing it again.... yay. So at this point Im convinced my starter it going bad. Why? Because my battery drops below 12 (10v) and it only seems to work after hitting it with a hammer/mallet and letting it "warm up" when cracking it with the ignition unplugged. It also sounds like a coyote screaming while being trapped in lava... AKA BAD.

I tried to film a video of it doing it earlier today and it fired right up... Im still confused as to why it only acts the way it does (doesnt wanna crank/crashed as if the motor is locked up) when the ignition is hooked up. As if its way too advanced but freely cranks like when its unplugged...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals