• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overheating, replaced radiator and thermostat. Please help!!!

PineappleRanger503

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone,

My truck is overheating and I am having some difficulty trying to pinpoint the problem. Hoping I can get some help and ideas on what may be the problem and/or what I may be doing wrong or incorrectly.

I had a pretty noticeable cracked radiator which I have replaced with a brand new one. I also changed the thermostat with a new one and am 99% sure I put it in the correct way (just because that is one question I have been asked).

I bled the old coolant, flushed it, and replaced it.

While burping out the radiator after filling it with new coolant, the truck is fine. It gets to normal operating temperature and doesn't get any hotter. However, when I drive, after a few blocks the temperature slowly spikes up to high?!

A few buddies and friends of mechanics still think I have air trapped in the cooling system. I have burped it out multiple times for long durations, and it still seems to overheat once it starts to drive.

I've done a block test to rule out any issues with the gasket, and haven't seen and/or detected any leaks from the water pump, any other place under the hood, or in the vehicle.

Any help, advice, and even more questions that some of my friends haven't yet asked would be most appreciative!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Water pump is shot. The 3.0 is good for rotting the fins off the impeller. It will be OK at idle, but the reduced flow shows up when you start revving the engine up.

PineappleRanger503

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you adsm08!

I'll give that a look and fix. Hoping it will be the answer to this. :headbang:

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A few buddies and friends of mechanics still think I have air trapped in the cooling system. I have burped it out multiple times for long durations, and it still seems to overheat once it starts to drive.
Not likely to have air trapped. Everything on the output side of the 3.0 coolant system runs uphill towards the top of the radiator and there's no where for air to get trapped, so any air in the system will work it's way out on it's own.

Just throwing out ideas = 3.0's are notorious for blown head gaskets/cracked heads, so even though you did a block test I wouldn't completely rule out a blown head gasket as the cause of your overheating problems.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Just curious,

what did you use to pressurize the cylinders to be sure that there is no seepage into the coolant system......

do you have a coolant system pressure tester as well to check the coolant system..

timd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Lower radiator hose could be collapsing when at road speed/rpm. Feel if it is easy to compress.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals