• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overheating '94 2.3L

Mac Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1994 2.3L 5 speed Ranger that just started overheating the other night. She has 207,xxx on her and appears to have been maintained fairly well, but I have no documentation proving it. Had the truck for a few months now. Temp gauge never went beyond the "R" in Normal.

I let my son take it to work the other night (I know... 1st mistake) and it snowed 6 inches. He calls me at work and says it just started overheating on him after driving for 1/2 an hour. He added more anti-freeze to the overflow tank and waiting 20 minutes before heading home. Said it overheated again and steam was coming out from under the hood.

I start the truck up the next morning and let it idle for 10 minutes. Temp level seems normal so I drive about 1.5 miles to get gas for the snow blower. Temp gauge starts climbing to Hot by the time I get to the Gas station. I let her cool down and head back home. Same thing happens going back, she gets real hot again. Now the heater is blowing only cold air out. I check the upper, lower and heater hoses and they are cold to the bare hand. The radiator cap was on crooked (because my son took it off and put it back on that way), so I put it on correctly. Hour later I started the truck and drove around the neighborhood only to have the Temp spike once more.

I'm suspecting a Thermostat being stuck open and picked one up at AutoZone along with a gasket and new hoses. After I drain the radiator and remove the lower hose, I plan to pour 5 gallons of hot water in the radiator. Michigan is in the 20's and I won't be able to run a hose to the truck. It appears that the Thermostat is in the housing that the Upper Rad. Hose and one of the Heater core hoses run to. Is this correct???

A friend thought that the Water pump may have failed as well. Figured I'd try the Thermostat route first before heading there. Any other ideas/suggestions???

Thanks,
Dave

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The tstat is prob stuck"closed" I would recommend a motor craft tstat if you can get it.

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
+1 on stuck closed.If stuck open there would be a constant flow threw cooling system.Also air pocket can stop flow.

Fords4ever

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992/1999
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/Dodg
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Check your oil for signs of water/wht creamy substance. You mentioned your son put in anti-freeze which leads me to believe there may have been a possibility of freezing/steam coming up. Poss damaged head gasket from heat.

Mac Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
No "milkshake" in the oil either on dipstick or on/in fill cap found. I couldn't get the cover off over the water pump, so I drove her up to the Sunoco to have my "hired wrench" take a look. Great guy who will use your parts and NOT screw you over on labor costs.

When attempting to flush radiator, fluid comes pouring out the Water Pump weep hole. Looks like it is time for a new Water Pump. Guess I can't complain since it's the Original part at 207k. I'll have her back by lunch tomorrow and hopefully all will be right with the world again!

Dave

Mac Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
BTW... We ARE replacing the T-stat and hoses :icon_thumby:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
that'll do it...

yeah, I replaced my stock water pump at 150K because it was squeaking and I got tired of it... still worked fine (had the engine out anyway, might as well)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad