• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overdrive INOP

Pilot Laslo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello
My overdrive button doesn't work, whenever i press it the O/D light does not illuminate. I have checked with multi meter and the button does work correctly. Any suggestions of where to check next?
Thanks

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
At highway speed, can you feel tranny OD engage\disengage when toggling the OD switch in the shift lever?
If it does engage\disengage, then the OD switch+wiring in the shift lever & column is OK, likely a bad bulb in the instrument cluster.
If the 2002 cluster bulbs have never been changed, it's time to do that, as you've likely got other bulbs that are out or ready to go out.
Info on dash & cluster maintenance at
Info on steering column maintenance at
Hope this helps.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Each time you turn on the key all dash "warning/indicator" bulbs should come on, its a BULB TEST
Does OD OFF come on?
If not bulb is burnt out

OD button gets 12v key on(fuse 2,cab), its not an on/off switch, its a momentary contact switch
The Switch's other wire runs to pin 29 on the computer
When computer sees 12v on pin 29 it toggles OD off or on, which ever it was it changes to the other
When computer boots up OD is always ON, there is no "last state" memory

So when you tested the wires you should see a key on 12v wire, and then 2nd wire that is 12v only when button is pressed

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Each time you turn on the key all dash "warning/indicator" bulbs should come on, its a BULB TEST
Does OD OFF come on?
If not bulb is burnt out
I really hate to cast doubt on anything RonD says, given how much I've learned from his posts, but that is not true on my 2004 Ranger and may not be true on your 2002.

That linked thread has other information that may prove useful. In fact, if you have an OBD2 scantool and Torque Pro or FORScan, you might want to check out my last post in that thread.

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
[...] 2004 is an HEC dash(1st year in Rangers), full digital cluster, it has a Test Mode you can access to do bulb and guage tests [...]
Thanks for the clarification, Ron! And sorry to the OP if I caused any confusion.

I don't want to derail the OP's thread, but I read up on and (extensively!) tried that HEC test mode several months ago and was never able to get it to work on my 2004 Ranger, despite having tried everything I could (including watching 2 videos of people doing it). EDIT: I should probably open a separate thread to discuss it at some point. New thread: HEC Test Mode on 2004+ Rangers

Last edited:

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Correct me as needed, but I believe
199?~2003 Rangers\Sports\SportTracs have the older NonDigital\NonHEC cluster, at least that is what's in my 2001.
PreStart BulbTest flashes most of the cluster lamps, but not all; it does NOT test the ParkBrake, TurnSigs, 4WHi, 4WLo...
That's why I did not go there in my response above.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals