• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

overclock questions

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Finding a XP wouldn't be hard, it is finding a good motherboard to run one on would be hard.

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah true... guess you couldn't do much with it on that board.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yea the boards that can handle the XP wouldn't have any PCI-E slots on it.

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

DeanMoriarty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah... You'd be stuck with AGP. I really don't think the poster has PCI-E on the current board though.

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate the advice guys. I think i'll actually wait until i have the money for a new MB and CPU before i try this. Again thanks for the imput. Brian
That's your best bet. You should only need a motherboard, CPU, RAM and most likely a newer power supply to get you started. Hard drives are bone cheap these days too, 1TB can be had for $100.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If you want to muck about in the bios settings you can always use the "reload default" option if you destablize the system...as long as you don't fry something...but it depends on your Mobo whether it changes the clock/bus speed...some do some don't..writing everything down or taking a screen shot of the current settings is an excellent idea...some you can print off right from the bios by using the Print Screen key...

I like the last option you chose though...buy a better system...maybe keep the old one around to play with since you won't need to worry about leaving yourself without computer...

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
If you want to muck about in the bios settings you can always use the "reload default" option if you destablize the system...as long as you don't fry something...but it depends on your Mobo whether it changes the clock/bus speed...some do some don't..writing everything down or taking a screen shot of the current settings is an excellent idea...some you can print off right from the bios by using the Print Screen key...

I like the last option you chose though...buy a better system...maybe keep the old one around to play with since you won't need to worry about leaving yourself without computer...
Yeah about the only option is a new system. Even if that board will allow upping the FSB it can screw up the whole system easily. That chipset doesn't lock the pci/agp frequencies when upping the fsb and can corrupt your hard drive and mess with any add on cards in the pc.

On a side note though overclocking can get pretty addictive. I started just getting a little more out of my first self built and now I try to squeeze every last bit out of my systems.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just be careful.

I crashed my system last night and cooked my board. Now I am waiting on a replacement board to come in from XFX.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Ouch!

The only system I had oc'd was an old PII 350 that I think I squeezed up to 500 or so...that was my previous system...this one I just replaced the chip and it works just fine...I prefer boards that take various cpu's where you can upgrade as needs require...haven't looked at Mobos for a while, but that's how I would approach a new system...if they still offer those options...

On a side note...there was an old server sitting in the computer lab at school...the instructor said it was donated by one of the staff...it's an old IBM system (RISC 6000 or something like that I think) and he gave it to one of the students free...

That system was probably worth $100,000-$250,000 when it was cutting edge...it's probably still a kick-a$$ machine and it works...but it's huge...took two of us to lift it into his trunk...takes four processors...has like four HDD bays, and I think he said had 2 gigs of RAM (IBM proprietary of course)...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals