• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Over The River Or Through The Woods, Ford Ranger Breadcrumbs Tech Helps You Find Your Way Back...

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 19, 2019 – Ford is making off-road adventures less stressful by giving drivers a “breadcrumb” path to find their way back to the pavement.

When enabled in the SYNC® 3 navigation settings, the Breadcrumbs feature works in the background to drop a virtual pin every second while out on the trail. When drivers need to return to the road, the feature provides them with a guide to get back to their starting point – without the stress of relocating landmarks.

Based on satellite technology, the Satnav Breadcrumbs feature is included in Ranger’s navigation system and is available on XLT and Lariat series trucks. Breadcrumbs is also available on other Built Ford Tough trucks equipped with SYNC 3 and navigation technology.

For even more off-road capability, Ford Ranger can also be equipped with an FX4 Off-Road Package, including an electronic locking rear differential and Terrain Management System with Trail Control for situation-specific traction. Off-road accessories like a winch-capable front bumper and leveling kit are also available for improved ground clearance and rugged styling.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
My Personal Opinion: You've probably already seen this news release, but I figured I would share this since it's Ford Ranger news. I've told Ford that the new Ford Ranger needs a better navigation system that will either allow you to program a route in to it's GPS, or allow the trucks Sync to connect to a https://www.gaiagps.com/ app on your mobile device.

There are numerous trails out there for you to explore in your Ford Ranger. https://www.trailsoffroad.com/ is a great resource for finding different trails in your state. For example, you can take the 160 mile Rimrocker trail from Montrose Colorado to Moab Utah. This is a 9-hour drive, if all goes well. There are other roads that intersect with this trail, so you need to know where you're going. And of course there's the Trans America Trail, and the only way to follow that is with a route programmed in a Gaia GPS app. Adventure travel isn't about telling the GPS to take you to a specific destination, and then following the route the GPS gives you. It's knowing which roads make up these trails. These trails (routes) are made up of roads chosen not only for the scenery that you're exposed to, but to also challenge you and your vehicle. The road less traveled, because it's difficult, and that in itself is the adventure.

While I'm sure someone will likely find this feature useful, I'm hopeful that Ford will eventually offer a way to help adventure enthusiasts navigate the 1,000's of trails that cross this great country, and not just a device to help you find your way when the current navigation can't get you there.

By the way, https://www.trailsoffroad.com/ has over 1,900+ off-road trails to check out.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Theyre making it too easy.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wonder how it works in a thunderstorm after dark when you really really really need it to(say someone got hurt rock climbing or any number of other scenarios)

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
I wonder how it works in a thunderstorm after dark when you really really really need it to(say someone got hurt rock climbing or any number of other scenarios)
Good question.

We have a handheld Garmin, and hike a couple times a week in the National Forests in Central Colorado. We've done that for about 20 years. In those 20 years we've never had an issue... that being said.. we don't hike in thunderstorms.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good question.

We have a handheld Garmin, and hike a couple times a week in the National Forests in Central Colorado. We've done that for about 20 years. In those 20 years we've never had an issue... that being said.. we don't hike in thunderstorms.
That is certainly the best policy sir, but still, you never can tell when that little white cloud coming over top of the mountain might have a big black tail on it

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Maps still exist right? Does anyone under 40 know what a map is? It's like GPS made from a tree. The user interface is sluggish, backlighting leaves something to be desired and reload times are tricky if they are not shut down properly, but battery life and signal strength are phenomenal.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If it is GPS then a thunderstorm or night time shouldn't matter.... GPS still works in the rain lol.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maps still exist right? Does anyone under 40 know what a map is? It's like GPS made from a tree. The user interface is sluggish, backlighting leaves something to be desired and reload times are tricky if they are not shut down properly, but battery life and signal strength are phenomenal.
Both are nice.

We used both on our Ohio trip. GPS just ran live and actual route planning was on paper. I didn't have to keep bugging the navigator "how far until ______?" She would say turn at Van Wert or something and I could just monitor how far Van Wert was on the GPS. It was really slick.

Mine also spit out the speed limit (which turned into a travel game of how quick does the GPS speed limit change vs signs) and my actual speed. Having all that built into the truck would be AWESOME. Here I was curious how far until we hit Indiana so I plugged in a town right next to the border.

Worked good for meal stops too. Going to stop in Tiffin for lunch? Plug it in and I have a running countdown until lunch... without irritating the map lady.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
GPS units are nice and convenient and I use them for driving and in the woods. The system can glitch from time to time though. There have been times due to various reasons, that GPS units can be miles off from where you actually are. Always have paper maps as a backup and for verification. A good compass is a great idea too. If for nothing else than to orient your map to North.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes I know what a map is. I even use them from time to time.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Now we're going to start seeing flocks of pigeons following Ford trucks, eating breadcrumbs.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I grew up in the mmmmm "way back". You could go into any gas station and get a free map of whichever city or state you happened to be in. We weren't "jet-setters" by any means, but my father took us to a lot of places. He had grown up during the Great Depression and the Second World War.
I started collecting those maps from everywhere we went, still have an old Justin Boot box full of them around somewhere.
Then I graduated into Nat'l Geographic and the maps they'd often insert into their magazine. When I'd see them at Goodwill or Salvation Army stores, libraries, yard sales etc, I'd just look for the ones with the "lumps", knowing it had a map.
We didn't have many books when I was a kid, but one I definitely remember was an old World Atlas, and after I got tired of looking at the maps I'd read through the index at the list of countries, and the cities, and was totally intrigued by their populations.

To this day I keep a file on my computers with most any map I can find of anything that piques my interest at any point in time.

That might not be a great accomplishment, but it's one of the minor things that suits me.

The GPS is also very interesting. I'll just be glad when they get to be, in one I can afford, something accurate enough to do precision surveying :D

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The gps on my phone is never off by more than 10 feet or so... :dunno:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It’s more of a dedicated GPS unit thing I think. Cell phones are a hybrid between the GPS system and the cellular tower triangulation system. By default, cell phones ping the cell towers for a location but use the GPS system when signal is lost. Like going through a tunnel or being out in BFE with spotty cell service.

Like you, I use a cell phone for navigation while driving but I still keep maps and atlases just in case.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals