• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Opinions wanted

F-type

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone I'm new to this forum and infact fairly new to rangers also. I've been a mustang owner for 5 years and am no stranger to ford engines big and small. I have however never owned a turbo car and that's where I would like to hear from you all! I'm starting my first ranger build and the truck has a 2.5 5speed right now. I don't really care what engine goes in the truck at the end of the day all i really want is something that makes between 300 and 400 ftlbs at the tires. Can this really be done with a built 2.5 and it not be a peaky mess? I'm not looking for peak power i prefer a nice linear torque curve. Like i said I'm new to turbos and a little afraid of lag and spikey power curves. Any lima turbo owners out there want to weigh in? Should i follow my instincts and drop a 5.0 in this thing or branch out and take on something new?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Ecoboost swap.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I dont think youd get a turbo lima to those numbers and have it hold togther.

Even a hot 302 would be iffy.

A 351W might give you a fighting chance at it. But you gotta figure if you want even 300 at the wheels (and assuming 20% parastic loss) youll need 360 at the crank.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
A 302 with aftermarket heads and a supercharger on just a few lbs of boost could see those numbers pretty easily I'd say.

Regardless of which way he goes, it's gonna cost him $$$$$

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A 302 with aftermarket heads and a supercharger on just a few lbs of boost could see those numbers pretty easily I'd say.

Regardless of which way he goes, it's gonna cost him $$$$$

You take the best 302 (94+ roller) and was making 205hp/275ftlbs. So yeah, i suppose it would be doable.

I think a 351W would be eaiser though seein as how youre already startin with 315 to behgin with.

Or hell just stick a stock 460 in it and call it a day

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
You take the best 302 (94+ roller) and was making 205hp/275ftlbs. So yeah, i suppose it would be doable.

I think a 351W would be eaiser though seein as how youre already startin with 315 to behgin with.

Or hell just stick a stock 460 in it and call it a day
Forget the 460....go with a mid 2000ish 3 valve Ford V-10....puts out around 350 hp. You wouldn't have to add anything.
Even the 2 valve puts out 305 hp. Have one in our class c motorhome...hauls 14,000 lbs around without any problems.
Would make a Ranger haul tushie.
Swap would intrude into cab area, would be tight for driver/passenger. But hay, your after speed, not comfort.
Grumpaw

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Forget the 460....go with a mid 2000ish 3 valve Ford V-10....puts out around 350 hp. You wouldn't have to add anything.
Even the 2 valve puts out 305 hp. Have one in our class c motorhome...hauls 14,000 lbs around without any problems.
Would make a Ranger haul tushie.
Swap would intrude into cab area, would be tight for driver/passenger. But hay, your after speed, not comfort.
Grumpaw
The V10 would be a bigger pain then a 460. Its longer for one, wider, and im sure heavier.

86merc5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
327 or 331 stroked 302 ( 306 at min ), Kenne Bell blower, aluminium heads, This would be pump gas & daily driver friendly with plenty of low end torque. *( note: as long as compression is kept reasonable. the blower could be added later to save some money--A friend ended up driving an 8 to one compression engine for 2.5 years ( wife informed him of then being pregnant with twins ) before he could purchase /install the turbo system the motor was built for.

F-type

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input everyone, it's helped me decide to go back to my original plan. I'll grab up an ho motor and send it to my machinist to be freshed up. Probably going to go with a trickflow top end kit also. Ran the street burner top end on my mustang and i know it works great.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals