• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Opinions please

Rowanoak88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys. I have had several rangers and my wife and I have finally gotten to a point financially to where I can finally build my current ranger. I have a 1993 4.0l ohv 4x4 Supercab Ranger XLT auto. She is sentimental to me so I don't wanna trade or sell to get a different one. I wanna build a prerunner...ish ranger but am unsure about the engine. Should I just pay the money for a different engine? Or should I build the current one? This will also be my main truck so the project won't be a tear it down until its done build. What should I do guys? Please let me know. Thanks.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If it's your DD, that kinda limits what you can do, when, and how much. If the engine is running fine and just needs a little attention, I would just let it be and tackle projects you can when you can afford for the truck to be down.

Rowanoak88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
What would you do with a 4.0l ohv?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You'll have to excuse PetroleumJunkie412. He like to cuddle and pet his 2.9 at night.

I don't think there is a whole lot of options available for the 4.0 OHV. Make sure the preventative maintenance is done. The 4.0 OHV is related to the 2.9, so there may be some upgrades and modifications that can be done to a 2.9 that will work on a 4.0 OHV. Take a gander at the Tech Library and the Articles/Resources sections to see what is there. The menus are up near the top of the page.

Clean up or fix any leaks there maybe.

Run a fuel system cleaner like Chevron Techron through the system twice a year.

Make sure the throttle body is clean.

Maybe run and engine cleaner in with the oil before an oil change.

Do the Sea Foam treatment to the valves via the brake booster hose to clean the valves. There are a few YouTube videos on how to do it and what to expect.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The 4.0 is fairly respectable as is, but probably seems gutless with an A4LD, the low rev limit is goofy but with the tall gears Ford likes to use and low shift points they can feel gutless. I had a '91 manual trans explorer years ago and it felt sporty with the shimmed up LS in back and 3.73 gears...

If it were me, I would get the engine mechanically sound, get the suspension set up for the tire size you want to run and gear it lower and probably do a manual trans swap...

Rowanoak88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The 4.0 is fairly respectable as is, but probably seems gutless with an A4LD, the low rev limit is goofy but with the tall gears Ford likes to use and low shift points they can feel gutless. I had a '91 manual trans explorer years ago and it felt sporty with the shimmed up LS in back and 3.73 gears...

If it were me, I would get the engine mechanically sound, get the suspension set up for the tire size you want to run and gear it lower and probably do a manual trans swap...
I was wanting to do a tranny swap but i was shut down and told basically i am an idiot for thinking that way. So what tranny should i look for? Also right now my buddy has a very beat up 1998 ranger 2.5 8v manuel just chilling in his yard. He doesnt want it. Someone dumped it there in the middle of the night, a buddy of his. The 98 is beat to shit and only a parts rig. Is there anything that i can utilize on my 93?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Turbo 2.5 if you feel frisky... Not hard to slap together.

Otherwise, Sarge called it when he said there's a ton that can be done to any of the cologne engines to bring power up.

My 2.9 is in the middle of a forged internals rebuild to be able to handle 21 psi off a turbo or two ✌🏿

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The M5OD trans from another 4.0L is what you need, that '98 has an M5OD but it's for a 2.3L/2.5L so doesn't help (integral bellhousing), the dash changed in '95 so it likely screwed with the pedal assembly but I'm not up on the 3rd gens and up body wise...

Why would you get shot down on a trans swap? If from the wife that can be understandable, they don't understand that the A4LD isn't a great transmission, not a horrible trans but does suck power and the shift points aren't great...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Do they make decent pistons for the 2.5L now? last I heard doing anything to the hyperutectic pistons was a bad idea... and something about the powdered rods not being great... that said going that route in a 4x4 still requires a bunch of other parts, sounds like fun though :). Believe me, throwing a little boost on the daily driver Ranger is tempting, would probably up the mileage not using all the horsepower it has...

Rowanoak88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The M5OD trans from another 4.0L is what you need, that '98 has an M5OD but it's for a 2.3L/2.5L so doesn't help (integral bellhousing), the dash changed in '95 so it likely screwed with the pedal assembly but I'm not up on the 3rd gens and up body wise...

Why would you get shot down on a trans swap? If from the wife that can be understandable, they don't understand that the A4LD isn't a great transmission, not a horrible trans but does suck power and the shift points aren't great...
No not the wife. We don't treat each other that way. It was some douche on another forum. But as far as the 2.5 goes it had been recommended that i turn it into a2.3l

Rowanoak88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Do they make decent pistons for the 2.5L now? last I heard doing anything to the hyperutectic pistons was a bad idea... and something about the powdered rods not being great... that said going that route in a 4x4 still requires a bunch of other parts, sounds like fun though :). Believe me, throwing a little boost on the daily driver Ranger is tempting, would probably up the mileage not using all the horsepower it has...
My pull apart has a 4.0 Manuel tranny for$192+core charge

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That doesn't sound horrible, there's more you would need to do a swap like the brake/clutch pedal assembly, master cylinder, hydraulic line, flywheel and I believe starter as well as engine computer but you can run with the auto computer with codes... The A4LD and M5OD are the same length so no driveline changes needed and your transfer case will bolt up.

Was this on a Ranger forum or just another forum? I don't think any RBV forum would recommend keeping a A4LD for an offroad build... not that it matters, just curious.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals