• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Opinion's on What Is Causing This Tire Wear ?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Thank you for taking the time to write this ^^

To clarify, I have rotated them as shown below, crossing the front tires to the back and bringing the rears straight forward, every 4,000 miles for 20,000 miles. Every tire thus has the exact same wear pattern. The fronts are always worse when I rotate them... but then again... that's why you rotate tires.

No curb hits have occurred, nothing that would knock the truck suspension out of alignment.

I am retired, and have a 2 post lift in the barn. Routine maintenance is something I take pride in and enjoy doing. I don't take my vehicles to the dealership or to any other service shops unless I can't personally do the work myself because experience has shown me I'll do a better job than they will.

I will likely take it in for an alignment though. I did that very same thing on my Tacoma, when the Hankook's on it were showing the same wear. It was in spec. (in the green), but now that I know the alignment needs to be even better, I can work with them to make that happen.

Truth be told, the heel and toe wear isn't a big issue, it's more of an annoyance due to the noise. Like I said previously I got 57,000 miles out of the last set of Hankook's. Our Tacoma had 175,000 miles, so we just figured that was to be expected.

I just expected better on a brand new vehicle. Unless your roads are better than ours, checking the alignment once a year is maintenance. I hate noisy tires. I'd guarantee the alignment was within specs when new but probably not set to preferred.

View attachment 67146
That's exactly the rotation pattern to use.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I use a 5 tire rotation

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
op, if you like to wrench on your vehicles yourself, you can probably make the tire wear problem go away on your own. Just tweak the toe-in slightly and drive it a month to see what happens.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
op, if you like to wrench on your vehicles yourself, you can probably make the tire wear problem go away on your own. Just tweak the toe-in slightly and drive it a month to see what happens.
I'd get an alignment by a qualified tech. How would you know the wear is toe related and not a camber problem? Once a tire wear pattern is established it doesn't go away and expecting to see a difference in a month is unreasonable. Compared to the price of tires and alignment is cheap.

copyman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
make sure they center your steering wheel when they do the alignment. i had to get 3 alignments done within a week at 2 different dealerships because the 1st one wouldn't fix there mistake. inside edges were work out at 32K miles on my OEM bridgestones. Camber, Caster, and Toe were all out.

1st dealership fix that but had the steer ahead angle out of whack had to hold the wheel slightly left for for it to track straight. took it back after 8 miles told them to fix it they had it an hour but it was still off. got some new tires a few days later then scheduled alignment at another dealership. They were able to get the steer ahead corrected and everything within a better spec.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
make sure they center your steering wheel when they do the alignment. i had to get 3 alignments done within a week at 2 different dealerships because the 1st one wouldn't fix there mistake. inside edges were work out at 32K miles on my OEM bridgestones. Camber, Caster, and Toe were all out.

1st dealership fix that but had the steer ahead angle out of whack had to hold the wheel slightly left for for it to track straight. took it back after 8 miles told them to fix it they had it an hour but it was still off. got some new tires a few days later then scheduled alignment at another dealership. They were able to get the steer ahead corrected and everything within a better spec.
Thanks @copyman

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just to wrap up this thread....

I filed a claim with Ford about how bad out of alignment the truck was from the factory, and how that lead to the premature tire wear. I included the photo's posted below of the eccentrics.

We found out this week that Ford is sending us $658. I suspect that Ford realized they sent some trucks out that had an alignment issue, and they're making it right. I'm impressed.

If I run the numbers in regard to how quick the tires wore out, and how much usable life was still on the Hankooks, I'd say Ford Corporate has treated us right.

And the new Michelin LTX A/T2 tires provide so much of a nicer ride than the Hankook's... so we can chalk this entire experience up as has having a good final outcome.

Makes me glad we bought a new Ford.

Left Front Lower Control Arm Eccentric.JPG
Left Rear Lower Control Arm Eccentric.JPG
Right Front Lower Control Arm Eccentric.JPG
Right Rear Lower Control Arm Eccentric.JPG

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Tires can be replaced under warranty if caused by factory misalignment, or at least they could in 2017.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@HenryMac: It's not the red lines you have highlighted in your pictures, but the fact that you're alignment is within one notch of full in (on the flat of the alignment washer that concerns me. And the back adjusters not lining up with the front - which I know has some to do with caster adjustment.

I'm curious on what the spec were post alignment.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
@HenryMac: It's not the red lines you have highlighted in your pictures, but the fact that you're alignment is within one notch of full in (on the flat of the alignment washer that concerns me. And the back adjusters not lining up with the front - which I know has some to do with caster adjustment.

I'm curious on what the spec were post alignment.
003.JPG

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Looking at the clean marks on the chassis mounts, those were WAY OFF! Seems to me they should have offered to replace the tires under warranty as noted above. Certainly a factory defect.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Everything is in the green- meaning within tolerances- but both tires have negative camber which would wear the inside of the tread. The illustration for camber shows how a tire would tilt with positive camber, the opposite of what you have. I consider anything less than set to preferred to be out of alignment. It's not terrible but tires are expensive.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
I'm late but mine started this after I leveled it. Took it back and the toe was out. Alignment still drove straight with no pull but toe was off a little causing it. Since I haven't had any problems till recently. But I threw a few of the little stick on weights off on my last adventure. Should be fixed tomorrow. I moved it to the rear Saturday so it didn't shake the front on the way to my mom's house today. Since it's about a 40 min interstate drive.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals