• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Opinions on vinyl floor?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
That sounds like it'll look good, and I'd like see how the gray turns out. Would appreciate your posting a picture of it when you get it done.

Woogie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Will do. I know the gray isn't going to match the shade of the interior exactly, but the seats I found aren't exact either and multi-tone gray and with black trim accents looks good IMHO.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Different gray shades with black trims should be fine. A gray floor is something that's different from the common black floor, and I suspect it'll turn out sharp.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
(Vinyl Floors) Can anyone tell me the pros and cons?
I had them in my 1970 Nova in high school... loved them. Spilled beverages? No worries. Muddy shoes? No worries

When we bought out 2019 Ranger, it has them too! Pleasant surprise. Nice job Ford.

As Tony would say... They're Great!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have vinyl in one of my '88s, the F250, and '86. Everything else has carpet. My only complaints with recent Ford vinyl is that it seems to be very thin, and it moves around, gets wrinkled up by heat and rips/cracks easily. The F250 is the worst, I swear it's paper thin.

I put vinyl floor from Stock Interiors in my '86. It's very good quality and was easy to install (molded to the floor pan already.) Best done in warm weather... it's very stiff in the cold.

Woogie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have vinyl in one of my '88s, the F250, and '86. Everything else has carpet. My only complaints with recent Ford vinyl is that it seems to be very thin, and it moves around, gets wrinkled up by heat and rips/cracks easily. The F250 is the worst, I swear it's paper thin.

I put vinyl floor from Stock Interiors in my '86. It's very good quality and was easy to install (molded to the floor pan already.) Best done in warm weather... it's very stiff in the cold.
Don't think temperature is going to be a problem. It's been over 100F every day this week. Hopefully I should get everything next week. Until then I'm going to work on finding the leak, bypassing the factory amp and installing a backup camera since I have to remove the trim to install the soundproofing anyway.

Anyone have suggestions on what to use under the vinyl for insulation? You can definitely feel the heat from the exhaust coming up though the floor pan on the passenger side. The new floor comes with a jute pad but I'm not sure how thick it is. Some extra insulation in the winter would be nice too.

Last edited:

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
I'm doing the same thing. Ordered from OC today at noon (Vinyl). They Order from ACC. Ill see how the shipping is. Cost 185 total. here is what i have done so far. Dont know what the two wires are for in Pic3, the were twisted together so i left it that way. (BRN/BLU strip hot 12v tied to ground) Waiting on parts. Dirty

Attachments

Last edited:

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
you could just coat in with herculiner or rubberized spray paint.

Woogie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought about spraying it with bed liner but without a floor the cab is super loud. Loud enough you can't hear the radio or hold a normal conversation. Plus the exhaust makes the passenger side footwell really hot on long drives. I had a box of candy bars sitting in the floor and during the 40 miles home they all melted.

Went down the rabbit hole of doing a bunch of other fixes while waiting for the parts for the floor to get here, but finally got the interior gutted, cleaned and started putting down the first layer today. I opted for the 3 layer method with peel and stick, closed cell foam and MLV on top, then the vinyl floor.

My truck came with the Premium Sound option and I guess part of that was it already had a lot of noise dampening material on the floor and transmission hump. I briefly considered removing it but the stuff is stuck on like concrete. There's a way to remove it with dry ice but at I've read that might make the noise even worse so at that point I was like "screw it" and just laid the new stuff on top.

Attachments

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I'm doing the same thing. Ordered from OC today at noon (Vinyl). They Order from ACC. Ill see how the shipping is. Cost 185 total. here is what i have done so far. Dont know what the two wires are for in Pic3, the were twisted together so i left it that way. (BRN/BLU strip hot 12v tied to ground) Waiting on parts. Dirty
I believe those wires are for the seatbelt light on the dash. Someone tied them together to shut off the light. There may have been a buzzer as well? Not sure.

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
Thanks Bird76Mojo, sounds about right. Woogie you get your flooring yet. Dirty

Woogie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Bird76Mojo, sounds about right. Woogie you get your flooring yet. Dirty
Yes. I ordered it at the beginning of the month and it arrived shortly after the 4th.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Ive thought about putting dynamat down before laying a vynil floor, my passenger footwell gets very hot, its noisy too but Ive gotten used to the noise. Maybe it would help in winter, always has been a icebox of a cab, I can keep the windshield defrosted but im rarely warmed up until Im at my destination.

Woogie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First layer is done. Some people cover every square inch with this stuff but after about 25% of the panel being covered you hit the wall of diminishing returns. So I focused on the flat areas of the floor, back wall and roof and had a few pieces left over to put in the sides behind the seats. I bought 36 square feet and ended up with 4.5 sheets left over. I think that will be enough to do the skin on the doors.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals