• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Opinions on ignition coil brands.

MISWFL

Reaction score
What's everyone's opinion on replacement ignition coils for 1980s & 1990s EFI distributor type Fords, specifically for a 1994 5.0 engine.

Apparently Ford is buying them from Poland now. They don't look that great. Anyone tried the NGK coil? Any other brands?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes the best parts are OEM found in the junkyard. I am not kidding. It's a well known fact that used to be the best place to get a Motorcraft Duraspark II ignition box back in the day. They are all probably crushed by now though.

MISWFL

Reaction score
Sometimes the best parts are OEM found in the junkyard. I am not kidding. It's a well known fact that used to be the best place to get a Motorcraft Duraspark II ignition box back in the day. They are all probably crushed by now though.
I hear you and did that for years in California. Florida doesn't have much in the yards and most have tons of miles on them.

Normally I wouldn't think of replacing the coil unless it fails, but read somewhere that you should replace the coil when you replace the ICM.

I used to run the Jacobs oil filled coil with the screw on terminals and a resistor wire. I haven't studied up what was the best to run on EFI Fords before coil on plugs came out.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If your engine is nothing special, I would go with finding used OEM black square coils. I know in GA at the pullapart yards they are easy enough to find.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
My Mustang and my truck both have recent Motorcraft Duraspark modules. They are smaller and look different but they work the same. The Mustang runs an Accel yellow coil and the truck has a generic stock coil that was in my basement. As long as the resistance is correct and it's not made in China, I'd use it. Lower resistance will produce a slightly hotter spark but the module will die early and often.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> As long as the resistance is correct and it's not made in China, I'd use it.

I think I am currently running a BWD RU19, what are you running?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals