• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

opinions on exhaust for the rustbucket rat???

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looking for something that will fit the rat rod theme but not sound ricer(like a glasspack)..... it's a 90 2.3 4 cyl BTW.... currently has stock exhaust.... thinking of kicking it out the side in front of the rear tire for the new setup....... my 88 had a glasspack and a dual monza tip for awhile.. was too annoying, so I replaced it with a ravin muffler(kinda like a flowmaster)

Last edited:

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, so I did some looking on here..... which I should have done before asking this.......not doing it right away , so I will contumplate on this, but if anybody wants to add their .02 go ahead....

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Well Flowmaster makes good mufflers, I have the super 10's on my truck, it's a 4.0L, but it sounds nice. I think the Super 44, Super 40, and 40 Series Delta Flow might be the way to go, it's not as loud and its more designed for 4/6cyl engines and has an aggressive sound. I think with how loud the Super 10's are a smaller engine might make it sound like a ricer.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On my 84 I ran the basic no-name muffler shop turbo muffler, and I always liked the sound. I don't know how it would sound on your truck, but they were never ricer sounding to me. The 84 was a 2.8L V6, but it had true dual 2.5" exhaust so it was more like two three cylinders. Unfortunately, I never got good video of the sound before I totaled the truck.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
ive always used the super cheap thrush turbo mufflers on my 4 bangas. They all sounded like a deep straight six. Sort of a monotone sound but much better than wing baaah baaah you get from 4 cyl designed mufflers.

fix_or_repair_daily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Chevy,Satu
Engine Size
2.3, 5.7, 1.9
Transmission
Manual
ive always used the super cheap thrush turbo mufflers on my 4 bangas. They all sounded like a deep straight six. Sort of a monotone sound but much better than wing baaah baaah you get from 4 cyl designed mufflers.
That's what I just put on my '91 4 banger 4x4 last week. Cost me $35 at Autozone. Louder than a stock muffler, but definitely not too loud. I'm happy enough with it.:icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals