• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Opinions on deleting hot water flow to the intake manifold.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It helps the fuel vaporize before it goes into the cylinders, being in LA you are probably fine though.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In colder climates the COLD air coming in at high velocity can cause ICING inside the upper intake on the 3.0l Vulcan engines, so a heater was used

Many disconnect this, and have no issues, but usually because a hose is leaking, lol

No benefit to disconnecting it otherwise

The lower intake is still heated, by coolant crossover from head to head

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
On a 2.3L and probably 2.5L (haven't looked at anything newer than '90 very close) it's just a pocket of coolant between the #2 & 3 runner at the cylinder head normally. I know on the GM side nothing new has coolant running through the intake manifold in a V engine, haven't dealt with many newer 4 cylinders...

Chrispycajun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My engine is a 2.5.. just wondering because everyone is putting cold air intakes on vehicles. And here we are pumping 195 degrees air straight into the engine.. on race cars fuel lines pass through box where ice is put to cool the fuel down. I know it was put there to help with emissions.. but I am wondering what longtime harm it actually hurts..as much as I like my truck,
I do understand it was engineered to be disposable. But I'd like to change that a little bit

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I removed the intake coolant lines on my 302 because they were leaking. Have noticed no ill effects since. Leave em if they're not leaking, remove if they are.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It's more complete combustion, like stated above if it isn't leaking I wouldn't worry about it. Race applications are different and cooling the air is different, unless idling the air does not have time to be heated by the intake manifold but the fuel does since the injectors spray it on the bottom face of the intake manifold to head interface or into the beginning of the cylinder head just before the intake valve opens, the heat vaporizes the fuel before the valve opens sucking in the air fuel mixture in theory. Liquid fuel does not burn but vaporized fuel mixed with air does... but like said some of that is theory and mainly for colder temperatures as RonD said air can actually frost on the way in which will not vaporize the fuel and the engine will not run well...

Cold air is good, but most of the honda guys are or at least were lazy, putting a cone filter right over the exhaust manifold is not cold air, from the factory Ford sucked cold air from in front of the radiator or in the passenger side inner fender I believe depending on year

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought my 3.0 Ranger in January 2000. Disconnected those lines not long after I bought it and put the then new MAC intake on it. Thought the same thing, why am I putting this intake on and then having 195 heated air in the manifold. I also run a 180 thermostat in mine. Anyhow, never had a problem with icing, even in Oklahoma when we have some days with near zero or slightly below zero temps. I deleted the lines entirely and capped them off on the heater hoses. Some just "T" the two lines together. Either works, one is slightly cleaner.

Anyhow, why is the Ranger the only FORD I have that has this dumb feature? My 2004 actually has an intercooler to try and keep the temps down. My 07 4.0 V-6 Mustang doesn't have a heated manifold. It does appear to be a plastic manifold though.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 3.0l Vulcan had the ICING issue not other models, and only in cold climates
PCV Valve is also "heated" on a few different model engines

Yes, all Fuel Injected Rangers came with cold air intake from the factory, which has 200% flow, so nothing needed there

Yes, colder air is denser than warmer air, i.e. Hot air rises, why?........because its lighter than colder air
Which is why engines/vehicles, feel "peppier" in the winter time, colder air, but MPG also goes down, no its not just about winter grade fuel, lol

Air/fuel mix is a WEIGHT ratio, 14.7:1
14.7 pounds of air, to 1 pound of gasoline
So if the air is denser it weighs more, so more fuel can be added
The MAF sensor weighs the incoming air, so thats where the mix ratio changes for temp, not in the upper intake, although there is an air temp sensor there, on most engines, as well

Does the warmer intake lower performance, no not enough to notice, in dyno tests it wouldn't be noticed and if it was it would be so small a difference as not to matter
The velocity of the air traveling thru that section wouldn't change its temp very much, but it would prevent ICING on its surfaces
Cold air intake works because it pulls in air that will be at least 20deg cooler than inside a warmed up engine bay
But I doubt that the intake manifolds air temp, while engine is running, changes that incoming air temp by more than 2deg, less at higher RPMs because of the velocity of the air, its just not in the intakes long enough for much heat transfer to take place

In NASCAR every edge can help, from running nitrogen in the tires to chilling the fuel, would you notice a difference chilling your fuel..............no, nor would running nitrogen in the tires help

A good running, well serviced and tuned engine, is what you want

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Taking a poop before going for a drive is more effective at making your car faster than an aftermarket cold air intake.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Power to weight ratio RULES :)

And only carry a 1/2 bottle of whiskey....................for short trips, lol
(Its a JOKE)

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The Lima 2.3/2.5 had heat to improve two things that I can think of: 1)drivability. Less stumble when cold and you step on the gas, and 2) emissions - better atomization when the engine is not at full operating temperature. Both should/will improve fuel economy. As above, I have not looked at later(2.5?) manifolds to determine if they still have coolant passages. When the Lima was first produced, it used a 2 barrel Weber/Motorcraft/Holley carburetor, and it was a cold-blooded thing in Cleveland winters, and wanted to stall at the least provocation.
I don't think it had much effect on icing as that would occur in the venturi of the carburetor as the cold incoming air was forced to give up some heat to the cold fuel being pulled in by airflow from the float bowl. Icing generally did not/does not occur within the intake manfold, but above it, in the carburetor, above the throttle plate(s). Icing can actually block the air inlet if it is given just the right conditions. Back then, 'stoves' were used to grab exhaust manifold heat to pre-heat the incoming air. Many had vacuum operated 'doors' that blocked heated air when incoming air temperature was high enough that it was no longer needed.
Likely the injected engines can do enough atomization that the heat is not absolutely necessary, but if equipped, the heat was programmed into the fuel delivery strategy to meet emissions and performance standards. It generally won't hurt anything to leave it functional, perhaps a few hundreths of a second faster in 0-60 acceleration, but nothing noticeable.

tom

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
My Esslinger intake for my 2.3 doesn't even have provisions for water to run through it. I haven't had any problems running a carburetor in the winter or summer but I don't know how the EFI might react to it, if at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals