• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Opinions on 1985 Ranger up for sale

Dsetz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wow, man the truck looks great, and your friend getting it for you is sure a nice gesture!
Now you've got a truck and a budget, busy winter ahead!

I'm jazzed by all the nice early 1st gen's turning up lately!

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I still can’t believe this. I’d been looking for a nice little project, and last week one of the tenants at my friend’s properties rolled in with the Ranger. I started the negotiations on the spot. Karma wants me to have this truck, and I can’t wait to get it in the garage. Ordered the factory shop manual last night off eBay, and spent a few hours this morning with the whiteboard mapping out the project. Not having to fork out $2k for the truck puts a bunch more items on the table that I can take care of. I have a 2000sq ft drive in warehouse space where I have my Mustang stored and a wood shop set up. Gonna be a ton of fun!

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Double congratulations!
This truck was meant for you! ?

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I picked up the truck today. It needs mechanical work for sure, but nothing I can’t handle. Apparently it sat in a garage for almost 5 years. The original owner passed away and it took a while to settle his estate. The kid I got it from just bought it in June, and has only driven it a few hundred miles. The engine will need rebuilding without a doubt. Oil leaks from all over. The valve stem seals are definitely shot, and there’s more clatter in the valve train than I’d like. The transmission seems fine, fluid is pristine and the shifts are firm, with up shifts and downshifts happening when they should, and no leaks. There are a few paint nicks here and there, but once buffed out it’ll look really good. This is a no-frills, low option truck, so no a/c, no power windows, etc. The interior is in just fabulous shape, with a coupe of tiny cracks in the dash pad. I’m still struggling with what to do with it. Keep it, flip it, restore it, decisions decisions!!!!! ? I LOVE how it looks, just something about this style, like a 3/4 scale F-150. On to the dilemma. There’s a place in Dayton, OH that specializes in rebuilding the Ford Cologne V-6s. They sell a long block with all the upgraded bits for $1700. It’s just about a straight trade as far as me rebuilding the existing motor myself, considering that I’ll lose outside income that off-sets some the cost. Factoring potentially $500-800 in machine shop work, I think I’d be way ahead buying the long block. I think what’s troubling me is over investing in it. I can’t find anything out there for sale that comes close to what I have in overall physical condition. Dead straight body, zero rust. Having the cash isn’t an issue, but I hesitate to spend a fortune on it. I already have a Mustang I seldom drive, but it has more than tripled in value over the last 8-9 years. Anybody wanna weigh in?

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I guess I‘m gonna have to keep it for a while now. I ordered the long block from teamblitz.com. Last one they had for this year, they apparently take a loooong end of year break. I had already ordered a duraspark ii conversion, but had to source the bits from 4 different vendors. The distributors are NLA everywhere but O’Reily’s and eBay. I got a NOS 2150 carb off eBay for $125 :). Gonna do the trans myself, ordered the master rebuild kit for that, too.
Gonna drive up to Columbus in a couple of weeks and pick up the motor. I’ve decided to do a “rustoration” on the truck. Leave it pretty much as is other than fixing and other normal stuff, no mods of consequence. Maybe if I hold on to it long enough, it’ll return the investment and give me some fun in the bargain. Gotta make room in the shop for her this weekend. There’s a huge vintage car show here every year, and this I hope to have ready to roll with the oldies!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Thanks for the updates.

With the condition of that truck, I think that you'll do fine investment-wise with the new motor and just a "rustoration". And once you have it back together, if you find that you really enjoy driving a nice old truck (like I do mine), then you're ahead of the game.

The Duraspark conversion is the best thing you can do for the truck. On my '84 2.8L it changed the truck's demeanor from temperamental at best, to super dependable, and it really cleans up the engine compartment.

Hope to see more progress reports as you go, and good luck!

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the updates.

With the condition of that truck, I think that you'll do fine investment-wise with the new motor and just a "rustoration". And once you have it back together, if you find that you really enjoy driving a nice old truck (like I do mine), then you're ahead of the game.

The Duraspark conversion is the best thing you can do for the truck. On my '84 2.8L it changed the truck's demeanor from temperamental at best, to super dependable, and it really cleans up the engine compartment.

Hope to see more progress reports as you go, and good luck!
Question please, sir! Which way did you go for the converter lockup? I see three possible in the duraspark thread, and was leaning towards the A4LD pressure switch. If you have a stick and not the auto, please disregard.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I'm sorry that I can't give any direct advice on the TC lockup switch. My 1984 has the C3 3-speed auto, and the A4LD started in your year, 1985. If I had to have dealt with it, I also would have looked hard at the pressure switch method.

Feel free to post up, or PM me, on any other questions or concerns. Besides not having to deal with an A4LD, I also modded the original carburetor as described in in one of the articles. But, I do have pics and notes from when I did it. My conversion was done 10 years ago now; it greatly improved the truck's running and reliability and it's been trouble free.

Good luck!

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ultimately if this truck ends up where I want it’ll have the Holley sniper EFI setup.

larscot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Xlt
Transmission
Manual
Hello all! I’m the proud owner of a black on black 2003 Ranger 4x4 Edge extended cab 4.0. I’ve had her since ‘04, bought the dealer demo with literally every option. She just turned 200k and I will probably die owning this truck. I do all my own work save for tires & alignment, and just completely overhauled the front end with all new bits. On to the question.....I’ve run across a beautiful bone stock 2nd owner 1985 Ranger long bed standard cab 2wd. Just turned 100k miles. The body is almost flawless, having been garage kept for its entire life. The interior has new upholstery, carpet and door cards. It’s Wimbledon white with red interior. Has the 2.8 V6 and an AOD. Needs front & rear main seals, and if I go that far I’ll just overhaul the motor. Guy is firm at $2k. I can’t find much that’s comparable to get my head around a fair value. Most everything I’ve found on the inter webs has been heavily modified. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!
I'm surprised you even had to ask people here if this was a good buy - I'd have paid the guy every penny he wanted and drove away like I stole it....because that's what you did.

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm surprised you even had to ask people here if this was a good buy - I'd have paid the guy every penny he wanted and drove away like I stole it....because that's what you did.
Ya I’m happy. It’s all apart in my shop. Yanked the motor/trans this weekend. Have a long block crate motor going back in, rebuilding the trans.

DannyG

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Excited to see a clean survivor getting some love.

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Excited to see a clean survivor getting some love.
I’ll be in it prolly $6k when I’m done. More than it’s worth but it’s only money!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals