• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Only blows air through Defrost.

aeberwein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just bought a 2000 Ranger xlt about 170,000 miles on it. Project truck for oldest boy. The AC works, but only blows air out of the defrost. I have check all of the visible vacuum lines and there seems to be no leaks. The vacuum chamber seems to hold vacuum. Where should I go from here? The only place I did not really check was right at the firewall coming into the cab from the engine side. I would have to remove quite a few things to do so. Any suggestions are welcome thanks!!!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Does heat come thru other places?

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Somewhere there is a vacuum leak on the line to the hvac controls - the defrost is the default position, so when there is no vacuum to the controls, you always get defrost air. The leak could be anywhere, but in my experience is more likely under the hood than in the cab.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Air is 70% nitrogen...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can see the firewall vacuum line pass thru from cab side, under glove box, should be 2 vacuum lines, one is from vacuum reservoir(vacuum source), the other is vacuum OUT to the heater hose by-pass valve in engine bay

When you select MAX AC the heater hose by-pass is activated so no hot coolant passes thru the heater core inside the cab, just FYI

The Vacuum reservoir should have 2 vacuum lines
One comes from the intake manifold(vacuum source)
The other runs to the firewall and then to the climate control panel's Vent selector(defrost, panel, floor)
Defrost is the default position, as said above, no vacuum = defrost

The vacuum reservoir may have a built in Check Valve, so the hoses must go on specific ports
Or there may be an inline check valve on the hose that runs to the intake manifold
With engine running make sure you have vacuum at the reservoir, if not then follow the hose back up to intake

There is also a vacuum manifold behind the dash, fold glove box down all the way and look to the left, you should see multi-colored vacuum lines, this is the vacuum distribution for the vents and source

aeberwein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You can see the firewall vacuum line pass thru from cab side, under glove box, should be 2 vacuum lines, one is from vacuum reservoir(vacuum source), the other is vacuum OUT to the heater hose by-pass valve in engine bay

When you select MAX AC the heater hose by-pass is activated so no hot coolant passes thru the heater core inside the cab, just FYI

The Vacuum reservoir should have 2 vacuum lines
One comes from the intake manifold(vacuum source)
The other runs to the firewall and then to the climate control panel's Vent selector(defrost, panel, floor)
Defrost is the default position, as said above, no vacuum = defrost

The vacuum reservoir may have a built in Check Valve, so the hoses must go on specific ports
Or there may be an inline check valve on the hose that runs to the intake manifold
With engine running make sure you have vacuum at the reservoir, if not then follow the hose back up to intake

There is also a vacuum manifold behind the dash, fold glove box down all the way and look to the left, you should see multi-colored vacuum lines, this is the vacuum distribution for the vents and source
I have also read that the 4wheel drive has a vacuum supply also? If that would have a leek could that have an effect on the HVAC system? There is also a small chamber that is connected in line with a coolant hose that has a vacuum line going to it. Could that have a bad diaphragm causing it to not work properly?.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
There is also a small chamber that is connected in line with a coolant hose that has a vacuum line going to it. Could that have a bad diaphragm causing it to not work properly?.
That's the heater bypass valve that RonD mentioned. Easy to test. Disconnect the vacuum line and seal it (the end of the hose) so it can't leak.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, 1998-2000 Ranger 4x4s used PVH(pulse vacuum hubs) and it has a vacuum solenoid hooked to a "T" on the vacuum reservoir hose, if it was disconnected it might cause low vacuum in the cab but I wouldn't think full defrost

No, on the grey vacuum line on the heater hose by pass in engine bay, it only has vacuum in MAX AC setting and shouldn't drop vacuum to 0 if unplugged

From your description you have 0 vacuum in the cab

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals