• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One ton questions

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
FF axles are intended to keep weight off the actual shaft. In a wheeling rig its not a terribly big deal because you wont be putting 10k on the axles. Regardless of if you run FF or SF swapping broken shafts sucks, only difference is if the tires/brakes come off or not. With the exception of 3rd member style axles.

Yes but if I break a shaft I can still limp it out of the woods to swap it out or atleast to a better spot. With a semi float depending where it breaks and your location the whole wheel may fall off causing you to be stuck even worse.Its no fun to retieve a 40" tire from the bottom of a hill or out of a mud hole. I will never run anything but FF in all my trucks.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Yes but if I break a shaft I can still limp it out of the woods to swap it out or atleast to a better spot. With a semi float depending where it breaks and your location the whole wheel may fall off causing you to be stuck even worse.Its no fun to retieve a 40" tire from the bottom of a hill or out of a mud hole. I will never run anything but FF in all my trucks.
i wouldnt run SF either on a stock 30spline shaft... thats why i have 35spline alloys, no breaky:thefinger:

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
They make winches and wenches to take care of such problems. I can agree with the SF axle/tire running away when you break a shaft.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They make winches and wenches to take care of such problems. I can agree with the SF axle/tire running away when you break a shaft.

Yes but why force it out of and obsticle by dragging it with a winch if it only has 3 wheels when you could possibly do even more damage to it. IMO it's just better to pull 8 bolts and slide in another shaft then its ready to go again.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i wouldnt run SF either on a stock 30spline shaft... thats why i have 35spline alloys, no breaky:thefinger:
Yes true but why spend $300 on alloys to run a SF when stock 14b shafts are plenty strong and you can usually find a whole rear for less than $100.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Yes true but why spend $300 on alloys to run a SF when stock 14b shafts are plenty strong and you can usually find a whole rear for less than $100.
14b is a great axle, I wont try to argue that.

but i have the money to spend, it cost me about $500 total and I have a nearly unbreakable axle with more clearance and weighs significantly less. Just a matter of preference i guess.

Last edited:

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
14b is a great axle, I wont try to argue that.

but i have the money to spend, it cost me about $500 total and I have a nearly unbreakable axle with more clearance and weighs significantly less. Just a matter of preference i guess.
Yes thats great if you can do it. But For a first time 1 ton build like his a 14b or a similar axle would probally be better if he is trying to watch his funds. I myself would like to run a fully built 9" but just can't justify spending that kind of money on a trail only truck. It would be different if it was street legal here in PA then I wouldn't mind spending more on it because I could enjoy it more frequently by driving it on the street to ride instread of always having to trailer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals