• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One more 2wd 98 coil spring 5.0 swap.

TOPDOG2007

August 2010 STOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sweeet progress!

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Originally I was planning on using a LRS 5.0 Economy short block for this 98 Ranger project. After further consideration I was unsure about the possibility of receiving a unit that could have a 60 overbore as well as a sleeved cylinder. Both are noted as possibilities under the description of the remanufacturing process. I still have the 2001 Explorer short block and decided to check with local shops regarding cleaning and machine work. I found one with a good reputation and reasonable pricing. They agreed to measure the block, crank, and connecting rods at no charge.

This weekend my son was visiting home from Gainesville and the two of us disassembled the Explorer short block preparing it to be dropped at the machine shop for inspection. If everything checks out it will probably end up being the foundation for the 98 Ranger. This 100,000 mile engine is very clean inside and the pistons wiped clear with brake cleaner, a shop cloth, and very minimal effort.

I have included a few close up photos of the internals. I am no expert so any comments/opinions from other members on the general condition would be appreciated.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Looks good for a 100K motor...How much did the complete assembly run you from the junkyard??
SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Looks good for a 100K motor...How much did the complete assembly run you from the junkyard??
SVT
I paid $800.00 for everything a year ago. Complete engine, harness, fan, accessory brackets, airbox & mass air, ECM, etc. I found it the day it came in so it didn't sit long. The junk yard moved it up the line in order for disassembly and I picked the engine up the following day. It was a very clean 01 Mountaineer hit hard in the passenger side (I know I have been calling it an Explorer). I felt good about the condition on my first visit to the yard. The vehicle was clean inside and out with obvious signs of coming from a good home.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Can't complain on that. I'm on the hunt for a 99-01 so I can V8 my sport trac. Plans are to grab a 4406 so I can have factory 4x4....Sorry to thread jack a little, keep up the great work and keep them pics coming. Hope you can keep progress rolling :icon_thumby:
SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Can't complain on that. I'm on the hunt for a 99-01 so I can V8 my sport trac. Plans are to grab a 4406 so I can have factory 4x4....Sorry to thread jack a little, keep up the great work and keep them pics coming. Hope you can keep progress rolling :icon_thumby:
SVT
Thank you. At first I thought $800.00 might be a lot for a 100,000 mile junk yard motor. But then I remembered the money was really going towards everything else. The intake and heads, acc. brackets, oil pan, harness, etc. With all things considered I felt it was fair.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I managed to get the ported upper and lower painted and mocked up earlier today. I also installed new freeze plugs. I can’t wait to see this thing sitting on top of a 5.0 inside my engine compartment.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I had the block and crank checked at the machine shop today. The block has the standard bore and the crank has standard size rod and mains. Looks like I will be going with a 30 overbore for the block to clean up the cylinders. The crank does not need to be turned but will need to be polished. The news was pretty much what I had hoped for with no real surprises.

JFortner5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FFV
Transmission
Manual
I just found this thread. It looks like you are meticulous and take the time to do things right. Your truck is an inspiration for me. I've got a 99 3.0L regular cab and I hope to start collecting parts soon. Can't wait to see more progress.

Joey

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I just found this thread. It looks like you are meticulous and take the time to do things right. Your truck is an inspiration for me. I've got a 99 3.0L regular cab and I hope to start collecting parts soon. Can't wait to see more progress.

Joey
Thank you. I only wish I could move along a bit quicker. I have collected most of the parts but do still need to complete the short block. The good thing is that a slow pace because of funding allows a little more time for attention to detail.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
A while back I media blasted my accessory brackets, timing cover, and bell housing and got paint on each of them. I am finally catching up from the holidays and had a chance today to take some photos and update the thread.

I also test fitted the clutch slave cylinder bracket that my son made. No surprises with the fit as he had it mounted on his Ranger project a while back. I am still waiting on the mounting hardware.

I unwrapped the new World Class Tremec T5 I bought over a year ago just to check and make sure it wasn’t collecting moisture or debris sitting in the barn.

Not sure what I am going to do with the finish on the used Torque Monster Headers I have. I may check into having them coated or just take the easy way out and leave them as is.

I picked up a few new parts over the holidays thanks to the wife. Ford Racing Oil Pump, Ford Racing Lifters, Ford Racing 5.0 Freeze Plug and Dowel kit, along with an ARP Oil Pan Bolt kit. The ARP Intake Bolt kit was a gift from my son last year.

I also picked up some used but rebuilt 24 Lbs Fuel Injectors.

I got the 01 Explorer oil pan and valve covers cleaned and stored away until I have a chance to media blast and refinish them.

I pressed out the wrist pins/pistons and cleaned/inspected the connecting rods. They will be going out to the machine shop to be reconditioned very soon.

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
The eight connecting rods came back from their first trip to the machine shop earlier this week. This trip was to inspect the overall condition, check measurements of the small end and large end bores, and determine if any further machine work will be required. After the eight pieces were measured the surfaces were shot peened and the bores lightly cleaned up along with the remaining edges.

All that remains for today is a quick check with a dial bore gauge to verify and record the small and large end bore measurements. The information will be recorded on the blueprinting sheet so it is available in the future. The connecting rods will then be individually lubricated/bagged/sealed until they can go back to the machine shop to be weight matched. Each rod will be balanced for small end weight, large end weight and overall weight. This will be done in a few months along with the pistons and wrist pins.

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Today I went ahead and tapped the oil galley holes. It was the last thing on the list before the block goes out for machine work. I started with a 1/4 NPT-18 tapered tap and cut all three holes under the timing cover. Now I can skip the press in plugs and go with a more secure alternative.

I then test fit the NPT tapered pipe plugs to make sure they mounted flush to the block. Once comfortable with the fit I removed them and stored them away until the block is ready for assembly.

While I was outside working on the block Fed Ex showed up with my Silvolite Pistons. I have been waiting for these for a long time. They have been "out of stock" at most suppliers for a while now.

Last edited:

Ranger4219

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 liter
Transmission
Manual
What front springs did you use?

i have a 99 ranger splash xlt standard cab 2wd. Prepping and prepping and buying parts for my 302 conversion. Was curious on what front springs were used? Your project to date outstanding.:icon_hornsup:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals