• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One Fuel Pump Prime is not always enough

matteo_g

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
1994 Ford Ranger, 4.0L engine. 117,000 miles.

Ever since I've owned this truck, it has always started after only about a second of engine cranking. Over the past two weeks, that has changed, and it is progressively getting worse. If the truck sits for an hour or more, it takes over 3 seconds of cranking to get it to start. If I immediately shut it down and then restart, it starts up and fires in the usual 1 second of cranking. If it sits overnight, it takes about 5-7 seconds to start.

I did verify that fuel pump is doing its 2 second prime when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. Also, there is NO LOSS OF PERFORMANCE that I can notice during normal running operation, no matter how aggressively I drive or how hard I force it to accelerate. All seems normal there. I did replace the fuel filter during this diagnosis to be sure that wasn't causing the problem. That had no effect.

I decided to run some experiments and take some data. First of all, after the truck had sat overnight, I primed it 4-5 times by turning the key to ON then OFF. Then, I tried starting it an it fired right away in the usual amount of time (1 second or so). Then, I got a pressure tester and connected it to the Schrader valve on the fuel injector manifold. According to my Haynes manual, the readings for this model year were in the normal ranges. Priming brought the presure to about 37 psi. After the pump stopped, it would sit at 35 psi. While the engine was running, it was down around 28 psi (increasing slightly with acceleration). What I did notice however is how quickly the pressure decays when the truck sits off. Overnight, it pretty much went to nothing, and I was able to verify that it took about 3 primes (<key ON then OFF> x 3) to get it back to 35 psi.

So now I'm suspecting that I'm loosing fuel pressure slowly due to a leak somewhere. I don't smell or see any gas leaks anywhere in the engine compartment or along the fuel lines, so I'm thinking it could be a slowly leaking injector that apparently doesn't leak enough during normal operation to cause any noticeable performance degradation. However, I do suspect my mileage has degraded in recent months, so this may be the problem.

My questions to the community are: Are leaking injectors common given the age and mileage? I don't have any experience there. Also, could this problem be caused by a bad fuel pressure regulator way back at the fuel pump assembly? What else should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i think i would be looking at the FPR, im not sure but i think there is a one way valve that prevents fuel from bleeding back into the lines

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Don't over think the plumbing

The check valve in the pump is the most likely cause.

AD

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
My explorer does the same shit. When you get down to 1/2 tank or so, you gotta prime the pump or it cranks forever before it starts. I'm replacing the pump in the morning.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals