• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Older 302 in 1999?

thegreatdivide09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i want to do a V8 4x4 conversion to my 1999 ranger. This car is going to be used for both on road driving as well as moderate off road. I know my truck i fuel injected and all but I'm feeling its going to be a more difficult dropping in an EFI 302 vs a carb 302. I don't really have a problem doing away with the ecu and all but also ill need to find a way to run the gauges. I think all of the powered accessories do not use the ecu.

So whats the best year to buy a used 302 V8 that is carbed? or maybe a 351? reliability is the name of the game here but i think it will be easier to fit in the 302 over the 351 without a body lift and all. But if theres any reason to get the 351 over the 302 other than power then i may lift it up and drop in a 351 but i can get a 302 much easier.

If EFI is better could you tell me why? i dont have problems with electrical work cuz thats what i do. I fell more confident with non efi because it doesnt integrate electronics with engines.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Best engine, in my opinion, would be a 5.0 HO from an '87 or Newer Mustang, Lincoln Mark VII, Cougar, T-bird, etc., or an Explorer. These have more power than most stock 351's.

The later Cougar/'94'95Mustang and explorer have front accessories that are about 1.5" shorter than other vehicles, which means you can run a mechanical fan (if you choose) and do not need to move your rad.

Gauges are not really an issue. My truck has a 5.0 from a '92, and the entire dash appears and works like stock, including tach, speedometer, and all other gauges.

That being said, moving the rad is simple, and there are resources like http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/ that show the EFI wiring step by step. this is based on a '93 Mustang harness, so other sources like www.fordfuelinjection.com and www.sbftech.com can show how to translate this to other your harnesses.

A similar year Explorer would be the absolute simplest swap if that's a concern.

Dig around this site, and other Ranger sites, you'll find a ton of info.

thegreatdivide09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ive spent a lot of time reading this and now that its winter im really considering it but i just cant think of the right engine.

Its not that i cant do EFI its just id like the engine to be as wire free as i can. I thought that all 302's went EFI in 83? Well according to wikipedia that is.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I dont see the point of going Carb...

A fuel injected 5.0 will have more power, get better fuel mileage, be more reliable and the swap is easier than you think.

The links that Teddy provided all have tons of great info. So does the tech library:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.php

thegreatdivide09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well reliability is a concern so i will do efi. I think the explorer swap is the easiest to do as well. This is not directly on topic here but i would like to know. I don't like the idea of AWD all the time from the explorer. The library says i can use an existing ranger 4x4 transfer case but its weaker than the f150 case but will it ever really be a problem with the 5.0?

I plan on using the ford 8.8 axle in the rear as it say but what about the front? should i use the same 8.8? or would a reverse cut dana 44 be better?

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I would worry about axles after the swap is done. If your Ranger has a 7.5 rear, it will be fine with the 302.

Also, any 302/5.0 can be changed to a carg setup with a simple swap of the intake/carb/distributor. There's noting specific about them. I'm sure a 4bbl intake and carb would not lose you any power, that's for sure.

As far as the 4wd sytem, that something to consider before you start.

As far as wires in the engine bay, compare this to what your engine looks like now:

thegreatdivide09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This is more going to be an all in one thing with the explorer. Not sure if the explorer has a 7.5 or 8.8 but if its an 8.8 ill just swap it to the rear of the ranger.

The only thing that really confuses me about the swap is the transfer case. My ranger is 3.0 v6 2wd so it has no transfer case. I can go get a ranger 4x4 one and use it or go get the f150 4406 and worry about the tight fit. I like part time 4wd so i don't have to use when on road but i don't want to destroy the ranger case with a 302.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
find an explorer setup 99 or 2000. put a real cam and valve springs in it and have fun.

a 7.5 will work if you baby it for ahwile. no burnouts and donuts on dry pavement. get a detroit locker equipped 8.8 or bigger for getting stupid and having fun.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I would worry about axles after the swap is done. If your Ranger has a 7.5 rear, it will be fine with the 302.

Also, any 302/5.0 can be changed to a carg setup with a simple swap of the intake/carb/distributor. There's noting specific about them. I'm sure a 4bbl intake and carb would not lose you any power, that's for sure.

As far as the 4wd sytem, that something to consider before you start.

As far as wires in the engine bay, compare this to what your engine looks like now:

ahhh yes..a beautiful thing:icon_thumby:

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
My ranger is 3.0 v6 2wd so it has no transfer case.
Take a look under the front of your Ranger. If you have torsion bars in the front, changing to 4x4 won't be a big deal. If you have coil springs on the front, your only option would be a straight axle swap in the front. I'm not a 4x4 guy, so if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals