• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ok to use mid grade gas in my 3.0?

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 93 3.0 has been pinging a bit for a while now. I recently sea foamed it, and that helped but there is still a little bit there. Would using mid grade gas instead of regular be a good idea? I was thinking about just putting in half a tank at first to see if it helps, and that way I can dilute it with regular if something goes haywire.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
u can run midgrade no prob, run premium no problem

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know if there would be much of a difference there. I put whatever grade I feel like putting in and I never notice any difference.

Fuel isn't made the same way it used to be. Back in the day, they would CLEAN/filter it all depending on the grade it was going to be, then add the Octane.

Now it's all cleaned/filtered the same and they dump the octane in at the end.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Only different I notice is how thin my wallet gets!

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, just thought I'd check. I'll maybe add a full tank then, and calculate my mileage from the last tank of regular. That way I'll know if the mid grade gave me any mileage boost or not either

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
If you want something that helps for gas, go with a Lucas fuel addititve. Or another good cleaner or octane boost. Also idk if you can get it or not but here in MS our walmarts that have the gas stations offers a milagebooster thing that is added to your gas. I run the $5 truck addition stuff thru mine sometimes. It helps on milage. Idk about cleaning it out or anything like it says it does. But it increases milage by like 1mpg

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
haha when i drove through the mid west states with their ethanol midgrade that was cheaper than regular, i used the midgrade....got better gas mileage and didnt notice anything wrong

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 93 3.0 has been pinging a bit for a while now. I recently sea foamed it, and that helped but there is still a little bit there. Would using mid grade gas instead of regular be a good idea? I was thinking about just putting in half a tank at first to see if it helps, and that way I can dilute it with regular if something goes haywire.

The engine is obviously spark knocking for a reason.......reset the timing.

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How do I reset the timing? Do I just pull the SPOUT (Am I calling that by the right name?) connector and double check the timing?

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
some 93s and 94s have egr if you do it might be your egr system.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You're probably throwing your money away. Check the owners manual and see what kind of gas they recommend.
lol.....just because the manual recommends regular fuel doesnt mean if his timing is advanced it wont spark nock....check the timing, pull the pill, reset the timing to factory, and then regular will be fine with no pinging

my 90 mark VII LSC (which everything works on lol) i have set to 14 degrees and run premium to get it not to ping, she likes it alot lol, nobody believes a mark VII should be a low 14sec car auto and all stock

DarkMax

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
You're probably throwing your money away. Check the owners manual and see what kind of gas they recommend.
A vehicle that old wont have the strict fuel requirements of todays vehicles. If it was a newer car, it would run better with the gas it was made to run in but a 93 will accept just about anything as long as its not diesel or racing fuel.

I run a full tank of premium in my 93 2.3l every 3 months to clean out any crap that has accumulated and it will idle alot smoother. If you have the cash just fill it to the top with premium, everything will be ok unless you have a major internal issue with your 3.0.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Using a grade of fuel that is too high in octane, NO MATTER WHAT YEAR, has the potential for negative impacts on several emissions control systems, particularly the cat, and for fuel fouling the plugs.

If you engine is pinging on regular then either your timing has advanced, or carbon build up inside the engine has caused an increase in compression, or hot spots that are causing premature detonation.

Check your timing as described above and set it to 10*. If it still pings run some more seafoam. If it still pings after that, mid grade is probably ok since you obviously are detonating with regular fuel.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Using a grade of fuel that is too high in octane, NO MATTER WHAT YEAR, has the potential for negative impacts on several emissions control systems, particularly the cat, and for fuel fouling the plugs.
QUOTE]

how does it effect the cat to run a different grade fuel, im not familiar with this, or with fuel fouling plugs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals