• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OK....splain dome light wiring to me....Mustang/Ranger

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused:

Trying to finish up my wiring....Bought Mustang dome light and replacing the factory unit. One of the wires at the light was burnt before the swap.

The Mustang unit came with a pigtail so I cut the wires and attached them to the pigtail. The light tested out fine BTW. Ran a separate hot to the map lights so they are independent of the door switch. The light will be mounted backwards and the map lights will be used to light up the area behind the seats...not that it matters.

When I plug in the harness and attach the housing to the sheet metal with screws, the dome light comes on when the doors are closed!!!:icon_surprised:..and no map lights....:annoyed:

Someone please explain how the electrical system triggers the light....it appears that the screws holding it on are connected to the circuit board on the light....:shout:

I'm at my wits end!:tease:

BTW..I HATE WIRING!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
All I can remember is that the screws are the grounds. One screw grounds the dome, one screw grounds the map. My computer is being slow and I can't look stuff up tonight.

85broncduece

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
171ci v6
Transmission
Manual
Not to sound like a prick but is your cargo light sw. on? witch would cause constant hot to light or maybee wires are swaped. meaning your constant got put to dome instead of map? I allways thought the door switches were a gronded sw. mine only have 1 wire to them. so maybee a relay set up. ill keep pokin arround. what year stang did the light come out of or go to? I can try to find a wiring schematic.

Just read my own post, man Im all over the place.

Last edited:

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
Not to sound like a prick but is your cargo light sw. on?
Yes, cargo light comes on when dimmer switch is up.:dunno:

My '96 F150 has the same dome light. The wires are attached to little plastic ends that are clipped to the steel roof bracket, and it even has a place for a pigtail, but it's not used.

Last edited:

Hooligan2c

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
From my past dealings, it should be a direct swap into your truck. You do not need the pigtail on the stang light. The light should work as is with just the two screws and thats it. I know the only difference for swapping them would be 04+ ranger where you need a seperate power wire for the map lights.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals