• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OK, so I am tired and hot

reno

Reaction score
I am ready to have the system evacuated, come homw and pump the system down. I have looked for a better pump that I currently have (a venturi..I know I know). What I planned on doing was pump for about 10min, close the gauges, turn off the compressor for 10min, then pump for 10 and so on, just to give my compressor a break. HOw well do these venturi pump? Will it take like a half hour, 15 min or what to pump (or under normal circumstances)?

The reason I am doing this is because I think there might still be air in the system. Won't drop below 62Deg when on max and high and driving at highway speeds. I drained some R-134 out and it stopped overheating the engine, just seems to be stealing a little more power from the engine now than it should. Example: I'm taking off from a red light, as soon as I push the clutch in front end rapidly drops (like speed shifting) and when I shift and let up on the clutch feels like slight pressure on the brakes pulling the truck down until I throttle (this is just a very brief moment of time). If I let off the throttle the trucks slows down rapidly like slight pressure on the brakes. Does not do any of this if the A/C is off. I figured I would start with square one, since I do not know what the P.O. did when he converted to R-134 from R-12.

Thanks, I hope this is clear, I seem to have a problem writing what I mean sometimes.

-=Reno=-

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Venturi pumps SUCK DONKEYS. I bought a used electrical pump (Robinair) for $50. Night and day. It actually works. You can actually get new off-brands for under $100.

You'll find that the venturi pump is going to be spitting water at you, and a little drop of water in the venturi makes it not work.

Even when they work, you need 29 inches, at least, and they have quite some trouble doing that. And a really good evacuation lasts hours. Trivial to do with an electrical pump; prohibitive with venturi pumps.

reno

Reaction score
Yeah I agree they suck, but it is all I have at the moment. I have spoke with a few A/C techs that are supposed to hook me up, I keep looking on craigslist as well. One guy had one for $85 that was for R-12 and said it needed a new cord to make it work again, so I did not even bother with it. But I did get it pumped down to ~ -28Hg, closed off the gauges and waited for like a half hour and gauges did not move. Strangest part was the first time I pumped it, the low side gauge kept increasing, but the high side never did, after about the third time pumping it did not do it anymore (this was while I was giving the compressor a break). I still continued to pump 4 more times to make sure I had a good vacuum and no leaks. All was fine, Truck does not bog down no more, BUT I still can't get the A/C any colder than 62Degrees!!!! Outside temp was probably around 88 - 92 Degrees at that time.

Oh yeah, I also put 2 12oz cans R-134a exactly in. First can was upside down (low side is on drier) then 2nd can was put in right side up.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals