• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ok...personal opinions?

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am going to SAS my truck...this much I know. Now on to the hard part.

There are 4 options out there, as most of you know. Ford TTB Dana 35, Jeep D30, EB D30 or D44, or fullwidth.

I realize everyone has their own opinions, and most of you have sas'd already. Please respond as to why you chose the axle you did to put under your truck. I am not asking for you to argue, I just can't decide what to do. If someone's reasoning clicks in my head, or I have never thought of that angle before, it might help me make up my mind with which axle to buy.

BTW, money is no issue, as I can find each of the above axles for $100 or less around here:icon_thumby:

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used a waggy 44. Slightly wider then an EB 44 also the pumpkin is off set a bit more to the driverside to make clearing the engine crossmember easier. If I were to do a 44 again I would use an f150 44. I ended up adding wheel spacers to the waggy so I am almost full width anyway. In reality I would just go to a 60.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I am confused. Why did you list the TTB Dana 35 as one of the axles you are considering for your Solid Axle Swap? It's not a solid axle, it's a twin traction beam axle.

If you just want 4x4, get the D-30. It's the least amount of work. If you want strength for off-road, I'd hold out for an EB D44.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Depends on your goal for your truck.
Strictly offroad? Full width 1 tons.
Dd also? Then the narrower axles have some advantages depending on your local laws

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I see "Ranger" and "2WD" on his profile... The D35 TTB isn't going to be as practical of a swap on that truck as the others anyway...

To the OP, Is your truck a reg cab or Supercab? If Super, I wouldn't mess around with a D30 under it (especially a junk EB D30). Definitely go with a D44 for it's stronger housing.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Dd also? Then the narrower axles have some advantages depending on your local laws
^ This. We need some more info to better suit your needs. What's best, that's easy, Dana 60. What will you use your rig for, offroading every weekend with Daily driving during the week? Wheeling only about once a month? What size tires do you plan to run? What engine do you plan to keep (plans for a future V8 swap?)? What wheeling do you do (mud, rock crawling, trail riding, etc)? What's your budget for suspension? All of these play a part in what's best for you. Leaves are easiest, but provide a harsh ride. Coils provide a better ride with more capability for flex, but could cost more depending on what coil setup you go with. So, what's your flavor?

I wanted to SAS cause I was wheeling harder than my ttb could handle. I went from an eb 44, to fw 8 lug 44, to a fw hp kp Dana 60 before I even installed the eb 44. I'm now swapping from the 60 to rocks before I even get a chance to wheel the 60, even though I got it most of the way complete and its driving. I went with 16" air shocks with a 4 link design. Shortly after I built it I'm seeing its limitations. My next setup is triangulated 4 link.

SVT

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am confused. Why did you list the TTB Dana 35 as one of the axles you are considering for your Solid Axle Swap? It's not a solid axle, it's a twin traction beam axle.

If you just want 4x4, get the D-30. It's the least amount of work. If you want strength for off-road, I'd hold out for an EB D44.
After I wrote it, I remembered that it is possible to put a d35 under it, and didn't want the d35 fans to be insulted......completely forgetting I put "SAS"....sorry....

DD, weekend wheeler, winter ditch recovery, etc. Not hardcore wheeling, but hit some trails and such

I see "Ranger" and "2WD" on his profile... The D35 TTB isn't going to be as practical of a swap on that truck as the others anyway...

To the OP, Is your truck a reg cab or Supercab? If Super, I wouldn't mess around with a D30 under it (especially a junk EB D30). Definitely go with a D44 for it's stronger housing.
Supercab, 2wd...hence the SAS. Got a great deal on this truck, going to make it 4wd.

^ This. We need some more info to better suit your needs. What's best, that's easy, Dana 60. What will you use your rig for, offroading every weekend with Daily driving during the week? Wheeling only about once a month? What size tires do you plan to run? What engine do you plan to keep (plans for a future V8 swap?)? What wheeling do you do (mud, rock crawling, trail riding, etc)? What's your budget for suspension? All of these play a part in what's best for you. Leaves are easiest, but provide a harsh ride. Coils provide a better ride with more capability for flex, but could cost more depending on what coil setup you go with. So, what's your flavor?

I wanted to SAS cause I was wheeling harder than my ttb could handle. I went from an eb 44, to fw 8 lug 44, to a fw hp kp Dana 60 before I even installed the eb 44. I'm now swapping from the 60 to rocks before I even get a chance to wheel the 60, even though I got it most of the way complete and its driving. I went with 16" air shocks with a 4 link design. Shortly after I built it I'm seeing its limitations. My next setup is triangulated 4 link.

SVT
Ugh, I hate when newbies do what I just did.....a million apologies. As stated above, dd, weekend wheeler, winter ditch recovery, that kind of stuff. Prolly run a 33 or 35 max tire. Plans are a 289 or 302, 5 speed, and an un-specified as of yet transfer case. I enjoy trail riding, I don't beat my vehicles too hard. No rock climbing, not alot of mudding....Just cruising through the woods, hitting some obstacles. Suspension budget isnt a big deal. Not looking to spend tens of thousands on it, but I got connections at a spring shop, so I am ok there.

I originally asked just to see preferences on other peoples minds. I like the stability of fullwidth, but you can go more places with jeep or eb axles...just not sure yet.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I'd do a full width 44 (if laws allow your tire to stick out like that)

now remember, a built 44 is comparable to a stock 60. If you want to spend the money upfront, do a 60 and upgrade when breaking.

it really just depends on a lot. Personally I think if I were to build a ranger I'd do 60's upfront. To many of these guys are starting with 30's, then 44's, then 60's... why build it multiple times?

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
I like fullsize axles my self. Size of axle is what u can find and big as u can afford, i went with a dana 44 but what i got in it(chormoly shafts,locker,gears)i could of bought stock 60. Dont let the fullsize fool ya, i go the same places that the jeeps go in the club im in and sometimes it protects me from body damage.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
AFAIK 2wd and 4x4 have different axle mounts so a ttb d35 won't bolt in.
No opinions otherwise.

Richard

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I second the d60, you may not need it now but why spend the money then do it later. A d44 and a d60 aren't much different in price or work involved either.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Actual, aftermarket stuff for a front 60 is cheaper than 44 stuff.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
2wd engine crossmembers and 4wd engine crossmembers (the mounting points for the front beams) are different. To run ttb beams, you will need to cut and remove the 2wd crossmember and install the 4wd crossmember. As far as axles, the 60 isnt much more than a 44, go 60. With the correct offset rims, you won't stick out much further than stock...

SVT

koochman450r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4cyl
Transmission
Manual
I used a 30. It was free. That's the ONLY reason its under my truck Mine is also a 4cyl. But its coming out eventually. I like the narrow width though. Thinking about narrowing a 60 but then I would have to upgrade the engine and that's a whole nother can of worms.

FordRanger1991

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If all you plan to run is 35s max then a Dana 44 is plenty strong. Don't forget that you can narrow the HP 150 44s pretty easy. Don't go Dana 30 especially if you might go with a v8. Just my thoughts

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals