• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil sensor removal on 2.9

Wilcox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt ranger
Transmission
Manual
My oil sensor leaking at block, but can't get a socket on it because the motor mount to close to sensor. Actually not sure there is enough room once ya get it broke loose to get it out with out hitting motor mount. Literally a 1/4 inch between the two when tight. Any suggestions. And not enough room for channel locks.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Are you talking about the low oil level sensor in the pan or the oil pressure sending unit on the block?

Wilcox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt ranger
Transmission
Manual
In the block. I copper wire runs to it. Drivers side front of motor mount. There is a casting on block that sticks out forward of sensor and motor mount to the back side of sensor. VERY limited space. Only way I can see is to unbolt motor mount jack engine up 1 inch to pull out mount so you can get socket on to sensor. Some one must have a trick or ran in to this problem. Any help would be great. Thanks again.

Wilcox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt ranger
Transmission
Manual
I will try to figure out how to post pics and post one.

Wilcox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure this has been talked about before but can't find anything on this problem. No socket will fit because of motor mount partly blocking sender and the block casting dose not allow channel locks to fit in there any suggestions besides razing motor and removing motor mount??

Attachments

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If channellocks won't fit, the only other thing I can think of trying is to clamp some big vise grips onto the sending unit (rotated as far clockwise as you can when you first clamp them down), then some other tool (channellocks?) on the vise grips. You'll only be able to loosen it a little each time, but it would be better than removing the motor mount.
My '87 has an angled adapter that screws into the block, then the sending unit screws into the angled adapter. I'm surprised your '88 doesn't have one.

Wilcox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt ranger
Transmission
Manual
The angled block is a great idea. I will look for one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals