• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Pump/Oil Pressure Gauge

Scobi64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright, so I'm going to try to explain this as simple as possible. I was out wheeling, and towards the end the oil pressure gauge would drop to nothing, and the "check gauge" light would come on. Having experienced ignoring that and seizing a motor before because of a dead oil pump, I quickly shut the truck off. Restarted it and the gauge went back to what it was supposed to be. Another few minutes and same thing. It happened a few times and then the last time the gauge flung itself around the other way and is now pegged, the wrong way, up under the stop needle. So now I can't even tell what the gauge should read unless the check gauge light comes on. Then, again, restart the truck.

The truck is a little low on oil but not to the point where it the oil pump shouldn't be able to grab any. Unless it's just low enough to where when I'm tipping side to side and on inclines out in the woods, it can't get any oil. Because the check gauge light didn't come on once after I got back on paved roads. Or maybe I'm wrong completely and I got wiring wet?

Any ideas? Thank you.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, fill it up, and check your sensors and wiring...

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Since you asked the question; I sense that you know that low oil and Wheeling isn't such a good idea. When you run a low oil level the viscosity takes a severe hit and you are no longer using quality oil. As far as the gauge acting up, I'd think it could be the sending unit and possibly the gauge. The red check gauge light is just telling you to check your gauges for an issue and yours was the oil pressure. The red check light is not monitoring anything but the cluster of gauges and not the motor functions. This gauge issue is coming up a lot lately.

Scobi64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, she made it home. about 20 minutes from the woods. So I guess I'll top off the oil tomorrow and pull apart the dash, fun fun.

rfl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, she made it home. about 20 minutes from the woods. So I guess I'll top off the oil tomorrow and pull apart the dash, fun fun.
Why not check, or even replace the sensor first? It should run less than $10.

bigfatloser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I suggest running a mechanical gauge.

tsi617

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm actually about to sell my mechanical gauges if your interested. Autometer sport comps.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

bocefas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright, so I'm going to try to explain this as simple as possible. I was out wheeling, and towards the end the oil pressure gauge would drop to nothing, and the "check gauge" light would come on. Having experienced ignoring that and seizing a motor before because of a dead oil pump, I quickly shut the truck off. Restarted it and the gauge went back to what it was supposed to be. Another few minutes and same thing. It happened a few times and then the last time the gauge flung itself around the other way and is now pegged, the wrong way, up under the stop needle.
Yeah, mine did that and has been "pegged" on the wrong side of the post for about a month now. Your sender is shot. I have a new one lying on the bench I just haven't felt like lying on top of the engine to replace it.

Scobi64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I will replace the sender/sensor if they're that cheap. What can it hurt? and as far as a mechanical gauge, if the sensor doesn't work, I'll wire one of those in. I drove it all around town today and she hasn't seized so that's good haha.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals